seeking advice or experience report of using 2FA

by Andrew Brooks -
Number of replies: 6

My local management requires 2FA on our Moodle site. Most users login and out of Moodle several times a day and 2FA on every login would be inconvenient. I can see an argument for site admin to be under 2FA (where a bad actor could cause a lot of harm), but should every teacher and every student also be under 2FA?

I am seeking advice or experience report from anyone who has introduced 2FA on their Moodle site.

Andrew Brooks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Brooks

Re: seeking advice or experience report of using 2FA

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers
How are they logging in already? Active Directory? Single sign on from the desktop (Windows Authentication)? Maybe you can build something in to that main authentication mechanism when they first get onto the system.

What is your timeout for a moodle login, perhaps you could extend that to reduce the disruption?

That said, as an admin I have to 2FA into a server every time I Remote Desktop in now (apparently RDP is a major attack surface), so I just leave it open once I'm in for the day - and lock my workstation whenever I leave it alone.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
We are currently dealing with this too. The wonderful K12 education world has proclaimed that we need to use 2FA on all our sites. Luckily I already have a Keycloak server set up and plan to shift to SSO login only for our staff. The benefit here is once they log into Keycloak, they don't then have to use the 2FA for every site.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
We let everyone login using a Saml2-account (We use simplesamlphp with a mysql backend). The second factor comes from a PrivacyIdea-server.
Where I'm based, only teachers need to provide a second factor, since they have access to student data. We distinguish teachers from students in the mysql database and filter that in simplesamlphp, so only teachers get the screen for the 2nd factor. Students are allowed in using username and password only.
The whole solution is free software (as in freedom) and open standards.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Martin Biermann -

I was forced to make this change in 2018 by our IT security officer. I feared the worst, but none of my course participants (usually young physicians in their 30s hopped off). So all things went well.

Martin Biermann

In reply to Martin Biermann

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Martin

Could you tell us more about the details of your 2FA implementation?

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
As a few other people have commented, it would be good to know more about the Authentiation setup. Generally adding 2FA via AAD or some external SSO can be pretty painless, especially if your IT will allow devices to be remembered so they only need to use it once a month or so. if they need to use it every time that might be very painful. Also if you are using SSO and there are other associated systems then logging into any system will allow them in to Moodle and it will be largely a non-issue.