Automated predefined E-Mail notifications to 'weak' students: possible by using analytics?

Automated predefined E-Mail notifications to 'weak' students: possible by using analytics?

by Alexander Dominicus -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Testers

Dear moodlers,

I'm looking for some kind of feature:

Depending on certain scenarios, e.g.

• bad grades in the course OR
  • long time period without course activity of the student OR
  • something similar 
I want to a predefined mail to be send automatically to all students matching one of the above scenarios.
I found the reengagement plugin which reminds on due dates. But I want to define so rules  (like the examples above) which should trigger an E-Mail to a certain student.
I also had a look at moodle analytics which seems to be fine in view of custom rule definitions (using a static model). But, moodle analytics seems to be on system level. I want to disable/enable it on course level. And I'm not sure if it is possible to send E-Mail notifications to students instead of sending them to teachers.
Does anybody know a plugin which fits to my problem or maybe is it possible to solve this by using analytics?

Best,
Alex
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Dominicus

Re: Automated predefined E-Mail notifications to 'weak' students: possible by using analytics?

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Alex,

we’ve created a plugin called Pulse which we use for this purpose. It’s a bit similar to reengagement in that it is an activity, too, and that it sends notifications.

When I want to send a predefined mail to students, I use availability conditions to determine when the notification shall be sent. Pulse is triggered by availability, I.e. it’s “enabled” when it’s available and it’s „disabled“ when it’s not/not yet/not any longer available.

If you want to send a student who has a specific grade, you can create a pulse, restrict it by that grade (range) and it will only send the notification when the student‘s grade matches the condition. You can obviously combine that with other restrictions, for example only at specific dates, or for roles or for groups etc.

We’ve built it like this because we are planning to add availability conditions as „triggers“. Our other plugins have kept us busy, but it’s still on our backlog. Things like „first to complete an activity“ or „best 30%“ or „active at a specific time of day“ or „long time without activity“ – the sky is the limit….

Hope this helps!

Stefan

P.s. pulse is free to use; while there is a paid pro version which can do a lot more, everything I’ve mentioned above is possible with the free version 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)