Moodle Workplace - Is it possible to create a Homepage per tenant?

Moodle Workplace - Is it possible to create a Homepage per tenant?

by Robin de Rooy -
Number of replies: 12

Dear Reader,

I cannot find a topic about this using Search, so I apologise if this is in the wrong discussion group.

Anyway, I know it is possible to change the look-and-feel for each tenant. But I want to Welcome the users/visitors of each tenant with a Homepage. I cannot change the 'Startingpage' without changes in all tenants. And yes, users can create their own 'My  starting page'. But I need a tenant specific Main/Homepage for each tenant that is the first page people see after logging in in the specific tenant.

Is this possible? That would be awesome. Thanks for your reply!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin de Rooy

Re: Moodle Workplace - Is it possible to create a Homepage per tenant?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Robin. I know this isn't an answer, sorry, but as Workplace is a paid for product, have you thought of asking the company who provided you with Moodle Workplace?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Robin de Rooy -

Thank you Mary for connecting. Yes I did and I am still waiting for an answer. So my hope was to ask the Moodle community - more people with knowledge.

If Workplace is about having different and separated tenants, having customized looks while sharing courses, I did not expect this to be difficult to answer. It seems to be a not -yet- possible feature.

R.

by Emilio Lozano -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robin,

You're right, it's not possible to have different site home pages for each tenant (yet). This feature is in the roadmap but I can't confirm when it will be available.
Some partners have used filter_filtercodes plugin to effectively restrict content to users from specific tenants, maybe you can test it out to see if it works for you?

Cheers,
Emilio
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emilio Lozano

by Robin de Rooy -
Thank you Emilio for your response. I already was afraid this was -probably- the answer. I will think over your suggestion tricking the system, but this is not my favourite solution. As tenants have their portal-look-and-feel- at log-in, a homepage to welcome the tenant-user is a minimum requirement as far as I am concerned. Especially, because attention was/is given to the user-journey. Now this stops after log-in. A pity. We will see.

by Emilio Lozano -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robin,

Remember that the dashboard can be customised for each tenant so using it you can effectively " welcome the tenant-user" with a branded dashboard page.

Cheers,
Emilio

by Robin de Rooy -
The problem is: you can't really. Yes, you can show the course modules, timeline, activities, but you cannot add any text on these pages. The 'branded dashboard page' is nothing more a using the 'brand' colours and maybe some blocks.

by Emilio Lozano -

Hi Robin,

But you can add an HTML block anywhere on the dashboard page! I suggest reaching out to your Moodle Partner for some guidance on how to configure the per-tenant dashboards to create landing pages for the different tenants.

Here's how it looks:

a) for users in the tenant

b) for users in another tenant (note the HTML block is missing)

The only limitation of this approach is that users must log in to see the Dashboard.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Emilio

by Robin de Rooy -
Yes, this looks more like it ... I did some research, again, and I found a good tip at https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Workplace_learning_block (block below). The checkbox was on and the Learning block was NOT enabled. So, that helped. This got me the HTML at the personal dashboard. But still for all tenants the same text.

Almost there - now I have still the same HTML block in each tenant. I saw -some time ago now- a place where I could 'detach' from the default tenant. But I can not find this page / option anymore in Site administration - please help here!

by Robin de Rooy -
Ah, think I found it! It is in the setting of the tenant where you have tabs for Users | Roles | Authentication | Appearance | Details -> it is in the Appearance tab.

After 30 minutes testing: Nope - still not working.
Now I edit the HTML in tenant 1 and see the changes in tenant 1 and 2.
If I change in tenant 2 I see changes in tenant 1 and 2 as well, whilst the dashboards are NOT linked - I don't understand.

by Robin de Rooy -
I tried again. Having two tenants (single user each) and a single admin (in Default tenant). Both tenants are un-linked, dashboard is changed. What I see? Still only the default tenant dashboard page. I am lost here. Does this have something to do with it?

"The dashboard of new tenant users will be created from the default dashboard. Existing users will not be affected by changes to the linked or un-linked dashboard, respectively. However, they can be manually reset by clicking the Reset dashboard for all users… button."

by Emilio Lozano -
Hi Robin,

Dashboards in Moodle work in a very specific way: when a user logs in for the first time Moodle creates a dashboard for that user as a copy of the default dashboard and from that point, all changes in the default dashboard are not applied to the user's dashboard. To synchronise the user dashboard with the default, it must be reset. Dashboard in workplace works in a similar way, but we also have the tenant dashboard. In Workplace, when a user's dashboard is reset the copy is made from either the site dashboard (if linked) or the tenant dashboard (if unlinked), depending on the configuration.

So, to summarise this is what you can do:
1. Unlink Tenant A dashboard
2. Unlink Tenant B dashboard
3. Add an HTML block to tenant A's dashboard (block A)
4. Add an HTML block to tenant B's dashboard (block B, note block A and block B are different)
5. If you log in as a user in tenant A, you'll see something like this:

6. If you log in as a user in tenant B, you should have something like this:

This is workplace out of the box. If you add the https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_filtercodes to the mix, in theory you can have a single HTML block in the default dashboard and use filters to show content only to users in specific tenants (didn't try it).

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Emilio
Average of ratings: Useful (2)