I'm software engineer and I'm currently developing to build an online school available on the web and mobile.
During my researches I found Moodle and its huge community.
Moodle is great since it already deal on all the problems we could have while building an online school.
I'm really impressed and it's a great job!
However the documentation isn't really easy and I still kind of lost regarding Moodle.
I'm still wondering if Moodle could be a great fit for my project. Here are the requirements of my project:
- I would like to use Moodle as a backend only.
- I would like to have a separate front end (developed in React for the moment) from Moodle.
- I will have a middleware developed in Spring which will call Moodle using the Moodle web services.
I'm going on this way because it enables to separate the differents stack of the project. If I need to change the front end I won't touch to the back. If I need to change the database (i.e Moodle) it will be possible without having to change the front/middle-ware.
My questions are focused on Moodle web services.
- The document is not very clear on it but do the web services give all the features of the Moodle I had the feeling that using only web services didn't give the full features of Moodle.
- If I need to use a plugin, let's say attendance, will it be possible to uses this plugin using only web services too?
- Is it reasonable to go with the described tech stack and having a decoupled front end, middleware and Moodle being used only as a backend/database? Are there any drawbacks I wouldn't have seen?
Let me know if you would need more information regarding it.