Using Two Grading Methods in the Forum

Using Two Grading Methods in the Forum

by Laura Shrader -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All, this is my first post.

Related to the two modes of grading in a Forum, I was working with an instructor who selected Ratings and Whole Forum Grading and set it up to use both grading tools for the same Forum. He rated students' initial posts using Ratings, and then used Whole Forum grading to give students points for making replies to their peers' posts.  

This is the first I have seen of an instructor intentionally using both grading methods for the same Forum. I typically see two grading methods selected in error, where the instructor only meant to select Ratings of Whole Forum Grading, not both.

Anyone else see this occurring on your campuses? 

Also, what do you normally do to resolve the challenge of an instructor accidentally selecting two grading methods? Is there an easy way to delete or deselect Whole Forum Grading or Ratings once the Forum has been created?

Thanks for your insight!

Laura

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Shrader

Re: Using Two Grading Methods in the Forum

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I always use "Ratings." Yes, I understand the Whole Forum Grading concept, but I like to read a student's post and immediately grade it.

I think you can resolve the two-method grading problem before you begin grading. After that, I don't know since I only use Ratings.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Laura Shrader -
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, our users generally prefer ratings as well, for the same reason. If they're reading the posts, they figure they may as well rate them as they go!

Laura
In reply to Laura Shrader

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Laura,

I haven't seen it used this way in real life (I'm a developer, and no longer work directly for an institution), but it was considered during development. We can allow both grading methods simultaneously as they have different purposes and can be used very differently.

Some people will use the initial post rating to help them assess the initial quality of the contributions, and then the whole forum grading to grade holistically later on. Others will setup the forum to allow peers to rate the post and use that as part of the grading metric - a bit like the workshop module.

With regards turning it off, you can just turn it off in the forum settings. Alternatively, if they want the information to be shown but not be used for grading you can hide the grade in the gradebook, or give it a weight of 0.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Laura Shrader -

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate the information, as this will help us as we make recommendations to our users moving forward. I think generally speaking our users prefer ratings. As I mentioned, this was my first instance of seeing an instructor use both ratings and whole forum grading intentionally.  In this instance, something I don't think I mentioned in my original post, the instructor used ratings for the initial post and then whole forum grading he marked as extra credit. Essentially giving students extra credit for making replies to their peers.

I did not know that the forum can be set up to allow peers to rate the post. This is also interesting. In this case, I can see how using both grading methods makes sense. As you said, similar to workshop.

We also like the strategy of weighting to "0".  Super helpful in some instances.

Thanks again!

Laura