Back-date Course Completion

Back-date Course Completion

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 8

Happy Wednesday!!

I see a lot of red flags with this request, however, I need to ask.....

Is there a way to back-date/select your own completion date for a course?  

For instance, users take offline training on Sept 1st, however, the teacher doesn't go into the course and mark completion until Sept 5th.  The users completion and certificate will show Sept 5th instead of Sept 1st.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Back-date Course Completion

by Jackie Toth -
Nobody can offer any comment on this?????
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The only way I can see to achieve this would be to write a local plugin that adjusts that completion date directly in the database. Not all completion is marked based on teacher input - completion may be automatic based on user activity, so I don't think there would be one place (currently) to create a setting such as adding your own completion date.
Also agree re 'red flags', especially around "select your own completion date for a course" - I think such ability would need to be severely restricted and certainly should not be up to the user to select their own completion date for a course!
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Jackie Toth -
Thank you so much Richard for your reply. You have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking but needed to hear from someone else before presenting to our user group. Have a great day!
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Jackie,

Just thinking outside the box for a minute here, if you don't mind. First of all, what certificate module are you using? Workplace's Course Certificate or some of the other alternatives? If you're using the WP one, can't you just set other 'Date' fields in the certificate template to reflect the start or end date of the workshop?

It's also not really uncommon to have a signoff date on the certificate that's after the actual workshop event took place.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Jackie Toth -
Happy Wednesday, Joost. Thank you for your reply and 'thinking out of the box' idea. We are using the standard WP course certificate. I didn't think any of the other date options for the certificate fit my need but I will take a second look. Basically, we need to enter a date for the certificate. None of the variables that I saw available allowed that - they picked up the sign-off date, the start date, etc. That is not what we want. Basically, we need to set the completion date when marking the activities complete.

If you have anymore 'out of the box' ideas, please post them.

Have a wonderful day!
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Jackie Toth -
Let me rephrase what I posted above as what we need. We need to be able manually set activity completion so that the date of the off-line training appears on the course certificate. As stated in my original post, student takes off-line course on Sept 1, however, teach doesn't start marking completion in Moodle until Sept 5. We want the course certificate to reflect Sept 1 as the course completion date.
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If the offline course is set up as an event, can't you use the event date in the certificate?

That way, your certificate could state 'The offline training event took place on Sept 1', signed by teach on Sept 5.

I have no idea if what you intend to do is possible by just adding a script to override the automatic course completion date.

The poor man's solution to this could be to use a certificate template with a bit of plain old text stating the course was completed on Sept 1, instead of using the dynamics of the Date option.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Jackie Toth -
Happy Thursday, Joost!!!

Again, some very good ideas! Thank you!!