Requiring other course completions in course completion criteria

Requiring other course completions in course completion criteria

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have two courses (Course A: IT Security, Course B: Application Training), one requires completion of another course to be complete. Both courses are replaced every year but not on the same schedule. Course A is open April-March and can be taken by anyone. People taking Course B (open August-June) must complete Course A for credit. People completing Course B April-June can't take course A, as it is closed after March and its replacement (we will call it Course C) is opened. So I created an empty Course C, which is unavailable until April and created a Course Completion condition of Completion of other courses (any) and selected both course A and Course C. This is fine. It works fine. EXCEPT one thing.

The Course completion block visible to students shows completion of one of two activites. I only require one but participants are confused because (even though I say they only have to do one) it seems to tell them they have to do both. Any suggestions? Is there a plan to make this clearer?

course completion status block

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Requiring other course completions in course completion criteria

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Have you considered "cheating" and just changing the language string to something a bit more generic instead of plural?
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Melanie Scott -
I haven't. But even changing the language string it wouldn't change the status, which is what is confusing--1 of 2 implies there is a second requirement. But there isn't there is an alternative requirement. But that is something to think about.

by Randy Thornton -
Yeah, the only way to change the numbers is hack up the code I think. It's not smart enough to know if a particular number is required or optional. It's just grabbing the number of courses in the settings.

by Melanie Scott -
It is smart enough to mark complete if one of two is done. And it is smart enough to ask if the requirement is any or all...I just feel like it is smart enough....there has to be a way...but I don't know it. Thanks, Randy!

by Randy Thornton -
I keep comparing it in my mind to how Programs work in Totara and (to a lesser extent) in Workplace. That's what you are basically trying to do with your set up. But the programs has explicit pathways for sets of courses assigned to user to take, including which are required, which optional, which parallel, which sequential, etc.

I recall Martin saying at one of the Moots that the Programs feature is on the list of things to eventually port over from Workplace to regular Moodle. (I think I remember this though it could just be wishful thinking.) If so, that would solve your problem.

by Melanie Scott -
That would solve the problem. If only I had some time travel...