1-1 class

1-1 class

by Hai Pham -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

We're planning to provide 1-1 online class on Moodle, each student will have his own course

I tried to look in this forum and found this: https://school.moodledemo.net/course/view.php?id=70

It looks good but not really a good solution for large scale, for example, more than 100 students

Another workaround I have right now is to create a template course, then for each student, I will clone a new course from the template one, then configure to fulfill our needs

Is there any better approach to deal with?

Thank you so much

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hai Pham

Re: 1-1 class

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would have thought using a single course and putting the students into separate groups of 1, then using groups and availability restrictions as needed to make the specific resources available would be an easier way to manage this?

PS the link provided is giving me an error, so I can't see what was on it.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Trả lời: Re: 1-1 class

by Hai Pham -
Sorry, I had a mistake to place a wrong link, it should be here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=369401
In this thread, Chris suggested to do the same thing as yours. In general, it works but not really well in the case there are many topics and users I think
Let's say an example, I have 2 English courses:
1. English for Work
2. IELTS
On the first day, Marry enroll the first course, then I have to copy each topic in the first course, create a group for her, and configure appropriately
On the second day, David enroll the first course, then the same configuration work as for Marry must be executed again
And so on. And the most important thing is that, manual work takes time and may cause some configuration issues

In my workaround, it looks simpler, since we just have to copy course from template course, then we just need assign user to the new clone course
I just wonder if there is any better approach to fulfill this kind of requirement
In reply to Hai Pham

Re: Trả lời: Re: 1-1 class

by Richard Oelmann -
Surely every activity that allows group work can be set with a group mode of 'Separate Groups' and you do not then need to copy and configure every topic. You do it once, set the relevant activities to separate groups and all you need to do for each student is create their group.

The alternative for your methodology would be to use the external database enrolment feature - you would need to maintain an external data source for your users which the tool could then use to create new courses from the template and automatically enrol the user onto that course.
https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/External_database_enrolment
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Trả lời: Re: Trả lời: Re: 1-1 class

by Hai Pham -
Thank you for your response. Actually I am quite new with Moodle, so can you please help to give some specific guidance.
Let's say, I have a class named 'English for Work' and its content contains:
1. Introduction
2. AAA
3. BBB
As far as I understand, we have to create this course in Moodle, then if I have 2 individual student ( I don't want they know each other), for example: Marry and David
So I have to create duplicated topics
1. Introduction ( for Marry)
1. Introduction ( for David)
2. AAA ( for Marry)
2. AAA ( for David)
3. BBB ( for Marry)
3. BBB ( for David)
Then in each topic, I need to use 'Access restriction' to allow only Marry can access to her topics, and only David can access to his topics?
If I am wrong, please help to correct
Thank you so much
In reply to Hai Pham

Re: Trả lời: Re: Trả lời: Re: 1-1 class

by Richard Oelmann -
I don't see the requirement to create separate topics for each user
Without actually trying it, so more than happy for anyone to correct me, but I think what you would have to do is
1. make sure permissions to view participants lists are removed so users can't see each other (you'd only have to do this once)
2. Add each user to their own group - in the course Groups settings there is an option to auto create groups which can be done by number of users in a group, set that to 1. If you get new users in later you may have to redo that, or add indivuals to their own group manually.
3. create your course with all resources and activities
3a. resources such as labels, files, pages, etc do not need to be restricted, they are the same for everyone - if you need to personalise the content, consider using a plugin such as Generico which allows you to create content using variables such as user names
3b. activities can be set with groups as Separate Groups, so that each group can only see their own content on the activity. Create each activity once and set the group mode. There's no need to duplicate the activity (or whole topic section) for each user.

I believe that's it. No need for multiple topics. You can use the access restrictions as well if some content needs to be further restricted, but making use of the separate groups feature should enable what your original post asked about.

Richard