Course completion reminder - any plugins other than Reengagement?

Course completion reminder - any plugins other than Reengagement?

by Ilker Coskun -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster here smile

So I was asked to check if there is any possibility for us to automatically remind our employees to come back to a course and complete it, if they haven't completed their course in xy days/weeks and so on. By "automatically" i mean "Without the need of a teacher or an admin needing to check reports or sending bulk-mails on a regular basis".

To be more precise: Some of our colleagues (teachers so to speak) would like to be able to set up reminders on a per-course-basis (so not for the whole site), where they would like the system to automatically check if there are any students in their courses, who haven't completed the specific course yet. I'm referring to the proper "course completion" date, not the "activity completion" of single activities. If there are students, who haven't completed a course yet, they should automatically be reminded via e-mail to come back to the course and complete it. 

Additionaly the teachers would like to remain flexible by being able to determine the reminder periods per-course. Let's say course A should remind people who haven't finished to course within 10 days, while course B should remind perticipants in 10 weeks. Course C should remind anyone at all.

Currently, users of specific roles (admins, teachers, managers) can go into a course and have a look at some reports (like the course completion plugin), mark students manually who haven't finished the course yet and send a bulk-message to them. However, they'd be more happy if they didn't have to bother with checking the course reports, or the "insights" tool regularly.

The first thing that immediately pops up if you research course reminders is the "reengagement" plugin. While the plugin is suuuper handy, it's not exactly what I was looking for, as it's goal is rather to remind people to come back and finish certain activities (such as a quiz or an assignment e.g.) - so it checks for activities, but not for the whole course completion. Of course I could just go ahead and set up the reengagement activity for the most important activities in a course, however it's still not as comfy as looking up the course completion status up, as in this case on doesn't need to bother about deciding which activities are crucial for reminders.

I was hoping to find a plugin for that, as I don't see a native way of fully automating the reminding process. I actually found a topic with a very similar question, but it's rather old and closed, and didn't really come up with a conclusion, so I thought I'd just go ahead and ask.

I guess if there is no plugin there yet, I'd need to find someone who is going to script something for us, which we then could periodically run over cron. Or we could try to make the reengagement plugin work somehow, although I can already see our "teachers" scratching their heads of confusion once I show them how the "reengagement" activity works 😅

Infos about our environment:

- We use moodle 3.10

- We use moodle in a way that we provide tutorial videos in different courses for our employees. So there are really no assignments or anything "school-like" there. So my question might sound a little "off" to some of you smile

- Some of these courses need to be taken by all employees, as they teach the basics about certain software or security infos etc - that's where reminders would come in handy.

- We have hundrets of users enrolled in courses. That's why we're thinking about automating the reminder process rather than using insights or letting "teachers" check the course completion progress regularly.

Thank you very much in advance for your inputs and best regards from Austria 💗

Ilker

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ilker Coskun

Re: Course completion reminder - any plugins other than Reengagement?

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Ilker - Thanks for your detailed post smile

I suppose you have defined 'course completion' in some way within the context of each course, eg, students should manually mark resources/activities as completed or the system marks it as completed based on criteria. And once students complete some or all of these resources/activities, they will have completed the course as per the course completion settings (https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Course_completion).

If my understanding is correct, perhaps you could consider this approach or workaround:

1. Add the 'restriction by course completion' plugin to your site: https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_coursecompleted

2. Perhaps you could award a certificate of participation to students who meet the completion criteria, if you don't do this already? You can use the 'custom certificate' plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_customcert

3. When you create a certificate, make it restricted to those who have met the completion criteria (the plugin mentioned in point 1 should automatically be integrated with the 'restrict access' settings). Then, set the activity completion of the certificate as 'student must view the activity'.

4. Use the re-engagement activity to send an automated reminder to students who have not viewed the certificate before the recommended period. I believe this would be a proxy of sending a reminder to students who have not met the completion criteria.

If you do not wish to issue any certificate, you could put a Label instead -- with a manual completion setting -- and put some like 'Congratulations on meeting the completion criteria. Please click on the check box next to this label to let us know you have completed this course'. Then you would hook up a re-engagement activity to this label.

Cheers,
Ravi
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by Ilker Coskun -
Hi Ravi,

thank you very much for your reply!

I had something similar in mind and suggested it to our course creators at some point, however, they felt like such an approach was too hacky/complicated for them to set that up every time.

I'll look into it a little more, maybe I can find a way to make the steps, that they'd need to take as short as possible. Or I'll keep searching for a plugin-approach smile
In reply to Ilker Coskun

by salome tisseault -
Hi,

Have you found a solution? I am looking for something similar, for example indicate to the user that he is at 25% time consumption of his course, and that at this stage he should be at the chapter "X" for example...
Thank you
In reply to salome tisseault

by Ilker Coskun -
Hi there,

unfortunately no (not specifically for what I was looking for). We gave up after researching a little more.

BR Ilker
In reply to Ilker Coskun

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The other one to take a look at is https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_pulse
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by salome tisseault -
ok thank you, I checked it and it seems to answer my need. They provide a sandbox to test their plugins, is it safe? have you tried it?