Question: LDAP Sync Plus Plugin - Possible to Enroll User in Course upon Profile Creation?

Question: LDAP Sync Plus Plugin - Possible to Enroll User in Course upon Profile Creation?

by MAG II -
Number of replies: 8

Hello - 

I attempted to post about this issue last week regarding Moodle profiles being created via LDAP. I now have a little better understanding of my environment. 

My organization automatically creates user accounts in Moodle via our LDAP system. We do this on Moodle via the plugin LDAP Server (Sync Plus).

Does anyone know if it's possible for users to be automatically enrolled into specific courses upon Moodle account creation, and before the user actually initially logs into Moodle?

I posted on the LDAP server (Sync Plus) plugin page, but it doesn't seem like I am going to get a response there. Does anyone have any experience with user accounts created via LDAP and enrolling into courses? I am currently not able to figure anything out, and am totally stuck. If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MAG II

Re: Question: LDAP Sync Plus Plugin - Possible to Enroll User in Course upon Profile Creation?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Question: LDAP Sync Plus Plugin - Possible to Enroll User in Course upon Profile Creation?

by MAG II -
Hi

Thanks for the response. Do these settings pertain to the LDAP Server (Sync Plus) plugin settings? I ask because the documentation in the link are the LDAP Enrolment settings. I'm just not sure if the LDAP Enrolment settings will affect LDAP accounts when I am using the LDAP Server (Sync Plus) plugin.

I'm just confused all over the boards.
In reply to MAG II

No, that documentation was about the LDAP authentication plug-in built in to Moodle. https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_ldap_syncplus is an additional plug-in, which I don't know. If you don't get support in the plug-in page, worth requesting the moderator to move this discussion to the Authentication forum where you get very good support.

by MAG II -
Thanks. I'll post in the Authentication section and keep my fingers crossed.
In reply to MAG II

Sorry, the topic is Enrollment, not authentication. That is a different forum.

Either way, the suggestion was to ask the moderator to _move_ this discussion to the correct forum.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moderator note: Moving this discussion thread to the Enrolment forum as suggested.

In reply to MAG II

by MAG II -
I've done more research and have talked to individuals in the Moodle community. I've learned that in order to to utilize the system LDAP Enrolment function, Moodle profiles must be created via the system LDAP function (LDAP Authentication).

I have since activated LDAP Authentication for profiles to get created (I have disabled the LDAP Server (Sync Plus) plugin). I am now trying to understand the settings in the LDAP Enrolment section. The attached screen shows some fields where I can add a course for enrolment, but me simply adding the course short name in the field doesn't seem to do anything when a profile gets created.

Also, in order to be enrolled into any of these courses, a user's profile field Department must equal Employee, so that's another thing I need to figure out - How to also update Department field upon profile created via LDAP.

Does anyone have any advice or direction for me?
Attachment LDAP Enrolment.PNG
In reply to MAG II

by MAG II -
Really struggling with this. Have been reading countless old posts and the provided Moodle documentation. I can't figure it out for the life of me. What I want to achieve I hoped would be simple - LDAP created users get enrolled into courses. I have since been lost in the rabbit hole.

LDAP Authentication works fine, and user profiles get created in Moodle when added to our LDAP. Does anybody have the time/patience to help me out here in terms of the LDAP Enrolments piece?