Can I attach a document to an individual student record

Can I attach a document to an individual student record

by sandy bracher -
Number of replies: 14

Hi there

As part of passing a course on Moodle, our students will have to complete a set of practical tasks on a test network of our software, outside of the Moodle portal.

Course Administrators will have to complete a document checklist to say whether a student has passed or failed the tasks. A simple example is shown below:

For auditing purposes, we are wondering if there was a way to upload a pdf of this completed checklist against each student's record?
Or if there was some other way to record this information against each student on a course, considering a course may have 100+ students as time progresses.

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sandy bracher

Re: Can I attach a document to an individual student record

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
There is probably a few different ways of doing this with standard Moodle functionality.
These are two I might use:
Use the Assignment activity to upload a PDF to an enrolled student. Less work and standard course reports will be helpful.
Or use competencies and learning plans to record the same information. This is more work and no delivered reporting for this functionality.
Kind Regards,
Shirley
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by sandy bracher -
Thank you Shirley, I had looked at Assignment Activity but it was confusing me! It's an option though, many thanks for your reply smile

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The "moodlish" method of doing this would be to add items Task A, Task B,... to the course grade book - you don't have to create Assignments, you can just add items to the grade book - then import the spread-sheet in to the grade book. For details, visit the Gradebook forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=2122.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by sandy bracher -
Many thanks Visvanath, that seems like it might work really well for our purposes!

I have one more small query in relation to this if your are able to help?
If I manually add the grades to the gradebook for each task, do you know if there is a way on any reports to see the date I did that?
It's just that for auditing purposes, we may need to see the date that a student was deemed to be Competent in a task. I can find this date stamp in the Grade History, would that be the only location to see this date info do you know?

Many thanks

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You are right. The grade book itself does not display the date the grade was given. (Your spread-sheet didn't show them either.) As opposed to the Assignment activity Shirley proposed.

But that data is in the database. You can create a simple report to fetch them. There are all sorts of plug-ins for that: https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=rep%20purpose:administration. Pl. ask in the Analytics and reporting forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8044 or in the Configurable reports block (plugin) forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7979.

This initial setup may look prohibitive. But it'll pay off in the long-run - to have the grades in the (semantically) correct place. Moodle is aware of them and can process them, unlike the (dead) PDFs.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by sandy bracher -
Many thanks Visvanath!

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Another "moodlish" method of doing this would be to use the checklist plugin. I used to do this with a pen and surface pro tablet while watching a student perform a task.
@Visvanath, I like that word, "moodlish"!
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by sandy bracher -
Hi AL, thanks so much for the recommended plugin. That is an option that could also work very nicely for us!

If you had a minute to help with the second query below I would be very grateful!

I couldn't find any information on whether any of the individual checklist items are fed back to the gradebook, as individual items. Is that how the plugin works?
Or does the Checklist activity display as a single activity in the gradebook, like other standard activities?
Sorry I'm new to Moodle!

Many thanks

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Sandy,
I've been retired 6 years and have not used the checklist since then. But, if my memory is correct I think the checklist grade is a single activity in the grade book.
After reading it, I think I would try the suggestion given by Gregor, to use an assign activity with a grading rubric. I believe there are even a couple of alternatives to the rubric grading that you could try. At one time or another, I probably tried them all, but like I said, it has been 6 years and my memory is not the greatest and needs an occasional "jog" to get me going.
In reply to AL Rachels

by sandy bracher -
No worries AL, many thanks for your help!

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Another moodlish way, if the tasks together constitute a single assessment, would be to add an "Practical Assessment" assignment, turn off all submission types (ie offline assessment) and use advanced grading/rubric. Then set up a rubric form with each row corresponding to a task, and the rubric scores Pass/Fail.
A teacher can then mark each task directly in moodle (ie from phone or tablet), and the student can see what they did/didn't do clearly.
This is good for an assignment with a bunch of steps to be completed in a single sitting, ie following a standard operating procedure. If each task is done at a different time, one of the other solutions is better.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gregor McNish

by sandy bracher -
Thank you very much for your response Gregor, I will look into that option also now!