Sub questions in a Question

Sub questions in a Question

by sushumna rao -
Number of replies: 7

Hi Moodlers,

I have a doubt. While creating a quiz with Questions which have sub questions , I tried using Description for main question and sub questions added below that. But Description question does not have numbering. So my purpose did not solve. 

for example questions like this:

1. What are the ingredients used to prepare these dishes?
    1. Preparing Dal Makhani
    2. Preparing Dum Aloo

How to add sub questions to a question in Moodle question bank? Which will appear with the numbering as shown above.

Thanks in advance.

#happymoodling

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sushumna rao

Re: Sub questions in a Question

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What do you mean by sub questions?
In reply to Marcus Green

by sushumna rao -
I meant one parent question then followed by child questions. Parent questions to be numbered. 1,2,3.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
A "description" does not contain any answers, so this is why it is not numbered.  Your example is really not correct.  It should be:

What are the ingredients used to prepare these dishes?
  1. Preparing Dal Makhani
  2. Preparing Dum Aloo

In reply to Rick Jerz

by sushumna rao -
Apologies Rick Jerz, I did not understand.
Yes, you are correct the description you have to give with out number. Followed by sub questions. 

But when I have more questions like this how do I proceed? I want the description to be numbered. 

For example:

1.     What are the ingredients used to prepare these dishes?

a.     Preparing Dal Makhani

b.    Preparing Dum Aloo

2.     What are the ingredients used to prepare these dishes?

a.    Badushah

b.    Jilebi

thanks in advance
#happymoodling
In reply to sushumna rao

by Rick Jerz -
You can put the description number within the Description. In a standard Moodle, questions are numbered sequentially, so that "a", "b" stuff is not standard.

Your #2 in your example seems to be a normal question, not a description. It appears to me that you have two or three questions in your example, with question 3 possibly being a little redundant.

1) Ingredients in preparing Dal Makhani

2) Ingredients in preparing Dum Aloo

3) Common ingredients used to prepare Dal Makhani and Dum Aloo dishes?

Realize that when you create a quiz that you also have the ability to create sections where you can group like questions. I am attaching an example from one of my quizzes.  In this screenshot, I use both the Description question type (two times,) and quiz sections (that show in the right-side navigation area.)
Attachment Quiz_Example.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by sushumna rao -
Thank you for the effort and reply, Yes I do agree that we can do this way. And also we can just create one simple Essay question and ask the student to write answers as 1a, 1b and 1c. But I am trying to understand how can we replicate the pen and paper style Examination questions in Moodle.
Once again thank you. Rick Jerz.

#happymoodling.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Rick Jerz -
As far as I know, you Moodle cannot number Description questions, and cannot begin renumbering questions after a description question is seen. Incidentally, this is a somewhat generic problem with all major LMSs, not just Moodle. In fact, some LMSs, like Canvas, don't even have Description questions and doesn't support quiz sections.

When you move from paper to electronic, sometimes you have to do things differently. Students cannot "scribble" on electronic media, as they can on paper.

Even though you cannot create sub-questions, Moodle does provide a lot of powerful quiz features that you don't have with paper. For example, Moodle can automatically grade several question types, such as multiple-choice and true/false.

I don't see anything in your example that Moodle cannot do, except support the question-numbering scheme that you desire.