formulas question numbers does not change for the second attempt

formulas question numbers does not change for the second attempt

by ali rosta -
Number of replies: 5

I have a quiz with formulas type questions. Today I noticed that if I set the number of allowed attempts to two (or more) times, then the random numbers generated are always the same for all attempts! big surprise.

Anyway to solve this issue?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ali rosta

Re: formulas question numbers does not change for the second attempt

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Ali,

In the quiz settings and under "Question behaviour/Show more...", set "Each attempt builds ont the last" to "No".
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by ali rosta -
Thanks a lot Dominique! Very happy that the fix is this simple

by ali rosta -
Dear Dominique,
What about when I override quiz settings for a specific student and give one more attempt? would it generate new numbers? (The quiz is one time allowed, but let a student try again).
In reply to ali rosta

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Ali,

"Each attempt builds on the last" is an option in the quiz settings. It is therefore not specific to the Formulas question. It applies to all question types.

From Quiz settings on MoodleDocs ↗, where I added "and with the same values for questions with random variables".

If multiple attempts are allowed and this setting is set to Yes, then each new attempt contains the results of the previous attempt. This allows the student on the new attempt to concentrate on just those questions that were answered incorrectly on the previous attempt. If this option is chosen then each attempt by a particular student uses the same questions in the same order, independent of randomization settings, and with the same values for questions with random variables. To show a fresh quiz on every attempt, select No for this setting.

I also added the following to the documentation:

In other words, if the option is set to Yes, the new attempt is just a continuation of the previous one. Students simply resume their previous attempt with the exact same questions and same values for questions with random variables, and their score as it was. If the option is set to No, the new attempt is an entirely fresh one, with new questions and new values, and the score reset.

Sometimes the teacher wants one or more students to be able to redo the test from scratch, while other students to be able to just continue where they left off. The option must therefore be set to No for the first student(s) and to Yes for the others. Since the option does not appear in the "User overrides", the teacher must ensure that it is set to No when the first student(s) launch their new attempt and to Yes when the others launch theirs.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by ali rosta -
Thanks for the clarification, thumbs up