Faster way to rate posts?

Faster way to rate posts?

by Janice Yates -
Number of replies: 4

PROBLEM ONE: Is there a fast way to grade forum posts? Each time I go to rate a post, I have to click it, rate it, submit my ratings, click "continue" when the screen that says "ratings saved" appears, then click back into the forum, then click the next entry, etc.

When I'm trying to grade 100 posts per week, this takes a LONG time. Is there a way to pull up all discussions in a forum and grade them at once?

PROBLEM TWO: Why is there no way to copy an assignment from week to week? This seems like a simple task. I tried saving the link from moving, then changing it to duplicate, but I get a "wrong course module" error. (This is for my forums and assignments.)

PROBLEM THREE: Is there any way to make the default for a forum NOT to be subscribed? (I have that set in the original forum entry.) When I am responding to forum posts that I rate, I constantly have to change the subscription setting to "I don't want e-mail." Again, I have it set in the original forum not to be the default, but it is.

Thanks for any help!! I LOVE Moodle and use it constantly, but need some help making it more teacher-friendly!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janice Yates

Re: Faster way to rate posts?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Janice,

Re. problem 1, you could save time by opening each discussion in a new tab.

Re. problem 2, please note that activities may be copied using backup and restore.

Re. problem 3, it's not possible to set a forum subscription default for one forum only, however you may change the forum auto-subscribe default for all forums on your edit profile page.

Please say if you'd like further explanation on any of the above suggestions.
In reply to Janice Yates

by Linda Robinson -

I would like to know if there is a faster way to grade forums as well. I have tried the rating ritual that Janice described above. I have also tried making an offline assignment to put the forum grades into. I then grade forums through each students profile and then record it and then go to the assignment and mass put them in. This causes some funking things in the gradebook.... It would be nice if you could grade forums posts as easy as assignments. Does anyone know if this is planned in the upcoming upgrade?

Linda

In reply to Linda Robinson

by Dennis Daniels -
Forums are a great place to measure students communication and comprehension but it is a real pain to quickly evaluate the work done there. I've posited that forums be rated by the "A" students with more weight than the "F" students. As a teacher, you know which ones are the bright ones... it would be very nice if those students were given more weight on their ratings... more like a slashdot environment. I tried capturing this idea here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=moodle+forums

I'd embed the media tags but they appear to be disabled on this forum.

All the best.
In reply to Janice Yates

by Steve Iman -
Thanks for starting this thread. It's really hard to use this forum tool when one wants to both encourage discussion and evaluate contributions. I'm thankful for the capacity to set the system so that I can use a short rating scale. I would like to be able to click "next" to go to the next item in the discussion and rate it. It's a real pain to go back. Even if I'm throwing new windows from the base forum listing, when I go back I can't tell where I am. Sad. There should also be a link and/or option to "private" the student as well as to "post". Sometimes I want to make a grading comment that should not be shared, while other times I want to further the discussion. Now, I suppose that in addition to having all the windows open I could be running an email program as wellwink