Quiz with a failed attempt, delay and grade calculation

Quiz with a failed attempt, delay and grade calculation

by Justin Ible -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I have an instructor who would like to force a delay of 2 days between attempts if a student fails an exam (less than 70%). That is fairly easy to do, however, if they take a second attempt they don't want an average of grades between the two. They would prefer if a score limit of the passing grade 70%.

Figured out the grade calculation if using a second quiz when a passing grade is not earned, and how to hide the 2nd quiz from other students. But can't find away to support the 2 day delay between attempts.

Is there away you can create a grade calculation based of 2 attempts in the same quiz, or create a delay between two quizzes. It is a self-paced course so set dates seem to be problematic.

Regards,

Justin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Ible

Re: Quiz with a failed attempt, delay and grade calculation

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Do the quiz attempt settings not work?

Quiz attempt settings
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Justin Ible -
They do, but we can't seem to be able to both in one quiz. We can use the Enforced delay for two days or we set a grade calculation that sets a max score (rather than average) when two attempts are taken ( in separate quizzes). We can't seem to do both, unable to figure how to set a two day delay between two separate quizzes or use a grade calculation on 2 attempts within the same quiz.
In reply to Justin Ible

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Now I understand, I don't think this is possible.

Unless the quiz attempt takes place on a very specific day relative to the first time the user has accessed the course, then you could use your two quiz approach and this plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_relativedate to restrict the second attempt. Unfortunatelly, the plugin only supports relative dates in relation to the course starting date or the first user login. Otherwise it would have been perfect for you.

I'm afraid your teacher has to let go of one of the following conditions:
  • the two day delay between quizzes,
  • the limitation to a 70 percent grade for the second attempt,
  • the user being able to do the first quiz whenever he/she wants,
  • fully automatic grading.