Understanding user roles and permissions - Help please!

Understanding user roles and permissions - Help please!

ដោយ Emma Softly នៅ
ចំនួនតប៖ 1

Hi brains trust, 

Please bear with me as I'm new to Moodle, I'll try to be as succinct as possible!

Background: I work for a NFP organisation, and have created a course using MoodleCloud. The course is aimed at our clients; namely young people with disabilities. I created the course while logged in as as the Site Administrator role. It will be an 'unmanned' course so to speak - no teachers per se, no feedback or assignments, no ability for users to interact with each other, etc. 

So those wanting to do the course can just create a Moodle account, then self-enrol in the course, and work thru the lessons (some with questions included; with unlimited attempts allowed, and no grading), then gain a completion certificate (via the custom certificate plug-in) at the end of the course. The only interaction between us (the organisation) and those who enrol will be as support if required, via our org's email address.

MY QUESTION: So I am going thru all the Site Administration sections, checking all the settings before I get a few people from the org to create accounts and self-enrol in the course to do some 'test runs', to ensure the course flows and works properly - but I am confused as hell by the Users > Permissions, Define Roles, and System Permissions sections.

I don't understand the difference between a Student and an Authenticated User - settings say that Authenticated Users are ANYONE who is logged in - so does that mean that anyone who enrols in the course will have the same permissions as me (Site Administrator)? I'm concerned that once someone self-enrols, until I have the chance to manually assign them to the Student role (with the custom permissions I have selected for the role), that they will be able to edit/delete anything or everything in the course, access and change all settings etc.  (as per screenshot below) 

Therefore, I wanted to change the 'Default Role for all Users' (in Users > Permissions ) to 'Student' (assuming 'all users' is the same as 'anyone who self-enrols in the course'), but the only choices in the drop-down box are either 'Authenticated Users' or 'Parent'.  (as per screenshot below)

Then I thought maybe one option would be to change all the Authenticated User permissions to the same parameters as the Student permissions we decided upon, but then if ALL logged in users are Authenticated Users, that includes me (Site Admin), meaning I wouldn't even be able to edit the course or access any admin settings cause permissions had been changed - so I didn't do it.

...to say IM CONFUSED is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

TLDR; I just want anyone who self-enrols in the course to automatically be assigned the role of 'Student' in terms of Permissions (what they can and can't do in the course) - shouldn't this be a given? Or is it already, and I'm just confusing myself even further?

We don't have any money in the budget to hire someone to do all of this side of things, and I am only employed 15 hours per week, and to stay on schedule need this sorted within the next week 😩

If anyone can please clarify this with me I would be SO appreciative!! Thank u ញញឹម

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Emma Softly

Re: Understanding user roles and permissions - Help please!

ដោយ Mary Cooch នៅ
រូបភាព Documentation writers រូបភាព Moodle HQ រូបភាព Particularly helpful Moodlers រូបភាព Testers រូបភាព Translators
Hello there. FIrst of all, don't change anything in the roles and leave the default roles. If you have enabled Email-based self-registration to the site and Self enrolment to the course then by default they will have the student role and you don't need to worry about them having any admin rights. So yes, it is " a given". Also - have you looked at our Admin Basics course on the site learn.moodle.org?
មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ:Useful (1)