3.10 Self enrollment does not seem to work

3.10 Self enrollment does not seem to work

by cyber sec -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 3.10, Boost theme.

I feel certain I have self enrollment  set up right.

As admin, I go to the course: Participants > Enrollment methods

Self enrollment  (Student) is at the top of the list and enabled.

I logout as admin, go to the front page, and there is no icon next to the course title. When I click on the course link, it goes directly to login.

If I login as admin, and go to the front page, I will see the icon next to the course title.

Note how the top course has that unopened lock icon on the far right? But the bottom course has no icon? Also, note the enrollment settings below.

BTW: is "enrollment" spelled with one L or two? If it's two, then moodle is spelling it wrong.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to cyber sec

Re: 3.10 Self enrollment does not seem to work

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there. First of all - the spelling of enrolment depends on whether you use US or British English, With British English is is one l and with US English it is two l. If you prefer the spelling "enrollment" then change your language to US English from the language dropdown. 

The padlock icon is because that course has guest access in it so people can see it without self-enrolling.

Regarding setting up self enrolment in a course, do you want your users to create their own accounts on your site as well as enrol themselves? If so then you need to enable -Email-based self-registration as well.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by cyber sec -
I just checked, email based self-registration is enabled.

I know about the lock icon. But if you look at the next course down, you will notice that there are no icons at all. That is the course I have set up for self enrollment. The reason is: that course has quiz questions.

I am having trouble setting up my SMTP. But I thought, that even without the SMTP setup, I would, at least, be able to get to the registration part. Just to make sure that is setup correctly.
In reply to cyber sec

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
OK can you clarify again what is not working? Someone goes to your site - not logged in - they click on the course with self-enrolment. They are prompted to log in. If they don't already have an account then they must create an account and then can they self enrol into the course? And what about a user who is already logged in? Can they click on the course and self-enrol?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by cyber sec -
> Someone goes to your site - not logged in - they click on the course with self-enrolment. They are prompted to log in.

Correct. Also, when self-enrollment is setup, on the front page, before signing in, there should be an icon to the right of the course name. The icon looks like an arrow pointing to the right, with a square at the right of the arrow. I think, there should always be some sort of icon if there is a way to sign into the course. For PayPal there is PP icon. For Guest there is an unlocked padlock. I am not getting any icon.

> If they don't already have an account then they must create an account and then can they self enrol into the course?

Correct. The reason I do this, instead of allowing Guest access, is because Guest access does not allow users to take quizzes.

> And what about a user who is already logged in? Can they click on the course and self-enrol?

Yes, when a user is logged in, that user can see the icon, and can self enrol.
In reply to cyber sec

by cyber sec -
I think I have it.
Under: Home > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication

Self registration was set to "Disable" instead of "Email based self registration."

Seems a little redundant that such a setting would exit. On the same page, there is an "Email-based self-registration" that was set to "enable."
In reply to cyber sec

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Next you'll be telling us that driving on the right is correct wink
Average of ratings: Useful (2)