Maximum grades 80/20

Maximum grades 80/20

by Richard Samson -
Number of replies: 2

We use the Workshop quite a lot and love it. (In Moodle 3.10.1+ now.) Kudos to David for contributing such a great activity.

I believe that the 80/20 maximum grades are a kind of legacy from old gradebook set-ups. At my centre we tend to grade everything out of 10 and use the "weighted mean" aggregation in the gradebook to adjust weightings. This system makes the gradebook more easily comprehensible to students, in my view, since good and bad grades for individual items are plain to see.

With this in mind, we tend to encourage teachers to change the 80/20 maximum grades in the Workshop to 10/10 and then they can weight the grades in the gradebook, if desired.

My question:

As a system admin. can I change the 80/20 default setting for all users? Are these values hard-coded?

If I have to hack the Workshop module to change these values, where are they?

I am guessing that I just have to change this in settings.php.

Thanks! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Samson

Re: Maximum grades 80/20

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

can I change the 80/20 default setting for all users?

Please go to Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Workshop and you will see there:

Screen shot of the default workshop settings page

And I'll try to remember this discussion for next time when someone blames Moodle again for having too many settings smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)