Grade of a randomly chosen question

Grade of a randomly chosen question

by mario S -
Number of replies: 6

If I add a specific question to a quiz, the default grade for that question is the grade I defined inside the question itself.

If I add a random question to a quiz, the default grade for that question is 1, which make sense because, of course, we do not know in advance which question will be chosen.

I would like to leave undefined the grade for a random question in order that it will be the grade defined inside the question that will be chosen.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mario S

Re: Grade of a randomly chosen question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Not possible.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Lisa Wiebenga -
Can I ask a follow up? and hope there is a solution?
Like Mario: I have a question bank that has a variety of questions; some worth 1 point, some worth 2 points. I am randomly taking adding ALL of the questions in this bank into a quiz (using random generator because I want to shuffle the order of some questions in this quiz, but not need the first and last question to remain static). I want Moodle to use the default point value I put in for each question when I created the question, but when these questions get added to the quiz, they all take on a value of 1 point. Is there a way to force the quiz to use the default value of each question?
If not, what's the point of the default value in the quiz question if it's always reverts back to one point and must be edited within the quiz shell?
Thanks!
In reply to mario S

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Mario,
just to add a rationale to this default configuration from a teacher's point of view. This is great because
a) it forces me to create consistent categories. I.e. in a category, all questions have the same or a similar level of difficulty and, therefore, should have the same points.
b) when creating a random quiz, all quizzes have the same score. Otherwise, it'd be a nightmare smile
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by mario S -
I do agree with point a) : this is actually where I am ending to!

As to b) , well, this doesn't seem true to me: when creating a random quiz I can change the score for any single (random) question, it seems to me.
This is good, so that I can have categories with easy questions (say 1 point), medium questions (says 2 points) and difficult questions (say 3 points) and when picking a random question from a category I can assign the score intended for that category.
This is very good, provided that, as you say, questions in a given category are "homogeneous".

I am thinking that a good practice is writing in the name of a category the intended value for questions from that category, so that it can be straightforward to give the right score in the quiz (I am new to Moodle and I am just starting to populate my question bank...)
In reply to mario S

by Beatriz Rojo -
You're right Mario, point b) was not accurate, I've never changed manually the points for a question once a quiz is created, but it makes sense in some scenarios smile