Moodle video and pdf tracking

Moodle video and pdf tracking

by anusha Hari -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Team,

wee need to track the video and pdf is fully watched by user or not 

Need to identify whether the user skipped the video  and skipped the page in pdf

need to track how much time spent by user to watch video

To play the video from last watched time

Is it all possible in Moodle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to anusha Hari

Re: Moodle video and pdf tracking

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Being remote tech, and often unsupervised, this sort of thing is not easy to track. It is demanding of a 'system of perfection' and such a system can never exist. Seriously suggest several work arounds, like supplementary quizzes, Lessons based on each section of the documents or videos. The other issue is that if videos are too long, i.e. more than about 6 minutes, students will get bored and close them, not bothering to complete them. I would suggest that videos be short and have one and only one point. If a topic can't be broken down into small chunks then the manner in which that topic is being addressed needs to change. Similarly with associated documentation, that too should relate only the the point of the video. If a point of a topic can't be discussed in one video, then divide it into smaller chunks with quizzes relating to that chunk. If a teacher can't do this, then find someone who can. I can think of single topics that have be spread over entire semesters, but still have so many individual points that allow for such chunking. Also, students can gain a far more detailed understanding of a topic if presented like this, believe me, they get to understand individual points, not have them blur into others. Good luck.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to anusha Hari

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Do you want to know what the browser has done or what the learner has done?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by anusha Hari -
yes.I want to know whether the person skipped any seconds or time in video.Is it possible to track in moodle.
In reply to anusha Hari

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Simple answer - no
Moodle does not have a means to check whether a video is being fully watched or skipped through. But as Marcus is suggesting, even if the video is left playing on screen, there is no way to ensure a learner is actually watching it on their browser, or that they have understood what they have watched.
Your best bet is probably to turn the video into something more interactive (H5P?) or include a follow up mini-quiz to check understanding.
It really comes down to whether you want to see whether a learner does something (opens a video/leaves it playing, possibly while making a cup of tea) or whether they have actually learnt anything.
You *could* engage with a separate proctoring solution, but that comes fraught with its own ethical issues which would need considering in depth before going down that route and it is not one I would advocate for this purpose!