Attestation or acknowledgement of work completion

Attestation or acknowledgement of work completion

by Roberto Ortega -
Number of replies: 6

I'd like to provide students with a question or checkbox allowing them to  affirm in some way that they finished the course requirements. The reason is that we would like use Moodle for training and compliance of personnel. We currently have completion tracking as well as automatic completion set up on each document, video, and passed or exhausted quiz. That's great for convenience, since simply opening a document or opening a video (even watching none of it) marks it as complete. 

However, for proper positive affirmation by the student that they read, watched, and fully understood the provided content, I'd like some manual checkbox. 

One thought is to add a final dummy document with some attestation text such as "I do solemnly swear that I read every word of every document and watched every second of every video attached to this course and that I have sought the direction of my spiky-haired supervisor whenever I had any doubt about the meaning of the content provided in this course. I ATTEST that this is true so help my paycheck and pension." For this last document, I would enable a manual completion check box. 

So, the user after having completed all the other parts of the course, would have to manually click on that completion button (grey circled checkmark) to ensure they can get credit for the course. 

I have already used the activity restrictions feature to make sure that the student starts at the top activity, reviews each document and video before taking a quiz at the end, and then finally checks the attestation.

Are there other ways to implement this in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roberto Ortega

Re: Attestation or acknowledgement of work completion

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Use the Choice activity. Have a single choice... "Do you understand?"... one answer "Yes"
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Or a Label with manual completion.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Or a forum where you prompt your students to give some closing comments about the course.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Or test what they've aquired; with a quiz!
wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's not outrageous on this occasion. My wife works on the railway and it's pretty standard - "are you confident that you know how to do this thing? Sign here!"

by Roberto Ortega -
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'll give these a try. I like them already.