Unable to add Compact Logo

Unable to add Compact Logo

by Rob Nielson -
Number of replies: 18

I'm trying to make some changes to one of my moodle platforms (3.10). I want to add a compact logo like I have in another one. However, when I load that page, the area just to the right of "Compact logo" is blank. There are no options to add a file. And inside the textbox is a spinning circle. Just spins and spins. 

Any idea why the page won't fully load?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Nielson

Re: Unable to add Compact Logo

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is the site the one linked to in your profile? This looks like a Moodle 3.10 site with the Moove theme which has been upgraded using Softaculous. Softaculous is notorious for breaking sites on upgrade because it leaves behind the source code files that are removed between Moodle versions ("Do NOT copy new files over the old files"). The problem you've reported is exactly this kind of problem.

The fix is to ensure only the source code for the current Moodle version are present, try these steps.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Rob Nielson -
Thank you. That was definitely the issue. It's working now.

Oops. Spoke too soon. Now I'm getting an error - filetype cannot be accepted.

I've tried uploading it as a JPG and PNG (both which should work). I've also made sure it's similar in size as the one on my other moodle. 

Still no luck.
In reply to Rob Nielson

by Rob Nielson -
Hmmm. I uploaded it into the Site Amin >> Appearance >> Logo area and that seemed to allow it to upload. Now just gotta figure out how to turn it on so I can see it. *grin* I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thank you!
In reply to Rob Nielson

by Brijesh Kothari -

Hi,

I am Brijesh Kothari from the Softaculous team.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

We do delete the files that are deleted by Moodle itself when you upgrade manually.

For Moodle 3.10 we are deleting the following file :
/grade/grading/classes/privacy/gradingform_provider.php
/lib/coursecatlib.php
/lib/form/htmleditor.php
/message/classes/output/messagearea/contact.php

We get the list of files to be deleted from the "upgrade_stale_php_files_present" function in the following file :
/lib/upgradelib.php

Has this changed recently ? Or if this is incorrect let us know and we will update our package asap.

I see there are several posts regarding upgrade issues. I will keep an eye on posts related to these and try to solve them.

If anyone needs assistance due to issues related to Softaculous you can open a support ticket with us and we will look into it asap :
https://softaculous.deskuss.com/

We want to make sure the upgrades done via Softaculous works smoothly.

In reply to Brijesh Kothari

by Leon Stringer -

Hi Brijesh, thanks for getting in touch.

The list of files in lib/upgradelib.php:upgrade_stale_php_files_present() is used as a "smoke test", a quick way to determine if files from the previous version are still present. It is not an exhaustive list. For example, 4 files are listed in upgrade_stale_php_files_present() as removed between 3.9 and 3.10, but in fact 26 were removed.

An example of a problem caused by leaving old files behind is that when Moodle optimises sending JavaScript by combining the files found into a single minified file then obsolete files can get included. These then conflict with the correct files breaking client-side scripts which is what appears to have happened on Rob's site.

The Moodle instructions when upgrading say:

Move your old Moodle software program files to another location. Do NOT copy new files over the old files.

This is to prevent this kind of problem.

A further challenge for an automated upgrade like Softaculous is that sites may have additional plugins in specific directories (e.g. admin/tools, question/type, themes) but that Moodle may also have core plugins in these directories.

I can think of the following approaches Softaculous could use:

1. Base the installation and upgrade process on Git. This would only modify the source code of Moodle itself, leaving the additional plugins untouched. The drawback to this is that there are a lot of Softaculous-installed sites that would need migrating to this method.
  2. Maintain a complete list of files and directories that each Moodle version has and use the difference between the two to determine which files to remove. Moodle 3.9 has 28,000 files/directories.
  3. Another approach would require an addition to Moodle to report at the command line which additional plugins are installed. Then Softaculous could remove all files from the source code directory except for these. The disadvantage would be that if admins had created any files within the source code tree then these would be deleted too. Making a backup copy of the source code is one way round this.

We see many reports of Moodle sites becoming broken when upgrades are performed using Softaculous. It would be great to get this issue resolved.

by Brijesh Kothari -
Thank you for your response.

Is it possible to get a list of folders where plugin files can reside ?

Maybe we can simply delete all files from the installation excluding plugin files and config file and then unzip the latest Moodle package.

Please let me know if there are any other files/folders which we should exclude from deleting.

What do you think of this approach ?

by Leon Stringer -

Here's the list of folders for the various types of plugins. These folders may contain a mix of additional (third party) plugins, e.g. auth/oidc, and "core" plugins that are part of Moodle, e.g. auth/ldap. The core plugins may change between versions, e.g. Moodle 3.1 had plugin auth/radius, but in Moodle 3.2 this had been removed.

So you could maintain a list of the folders for the core plugins for each Moodle version. You would then need to check the existing Moodle version (in version.php) and remove that version's core plugin folders leaving behind only the additional plugins.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

"Base the installation and upgrade process on Git. This would only modify the source code of Moodle itself, leaving the additional plugins untouched. The drawback to this is that there are a lot of Softaculous-installed sites that would need migrating to this method."

+20 votes to Leon's suggestion above ...

Maybe take a look at MAMP who at one time provided an 'upgrade.sh' file with package.   Side loaded new Moodle code via git then moved old code out of the way, moved new git acquired code to active directory (which also moved the hidden .git directory which could be used for updates or upgrades from that time forward).

Didn't take into account plugins, however.   But, Moodle does.

Another 'semi-fork' (for lack of better term) of Moodle ... Bitnami ... an investagtion of it and how it handles updates and upgrades might also provide an approach for Softac.

Both could update/upgrade core code and leave the Moodle admin interface to handle update/upgrade of plugins.

My 2 cents!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Brijesh Kothari -
Hi,

For the Upgrade process via GIT :
https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Git_for_Administrators#Updating_your_installation

It states for production sites we should following the following guide :
https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Upgrading

Which is again to copy the files to a backup location, unzipping the new files, copy config file and after upgrade copy the plugin files.

I think for a non-technical user copying the plugin files manually is a difficult process.

Is Moodle considering to create an upgrade process that is bit easier for the non-technical users ?

by Ken Task -

Are we 'hi-jacking' this thread?

"We want to make softaculous the BRIDGE between a Software Vendor and the Enduser!"

https://www.softaculous.com/apps/educational
Has Moodle listed twice ... a 3.5.x and a 3.10.1
The support links point to https://moodle.org/
Why is that?

Free License

Free License are license(s) issued for free. The features of a Free are as following:

.... other items listed ...

Support related to Softaculous via the Support Forums

Note 'Support Forums' ... Softac forums???

Suggest you open channel of communications with the 'vendor' for Moodle to discuss how your perl based app installing/updating (moodle releases new code every week for supported versions) and upgrading could be programmed to be more inline with vendor.

Begin with:

https://tracker.moodle.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Brijesh Kothari -
Hi,

>> The support links point to https://moodle.org/
Why is that?

That link is for supported related to the software (in this case Moodle), for any issues related to installation or upgrade via Softaculous users are always welcome to open a support ticket with us (Softaculous).

>> Suggest you open channel of communications with the 'vendor' for Moodle to discuss how your perl based app installing/updating (moodle releases new code every week for supported versions) and upgrading could be programmed to be more inline with vendor.

Sure will do that.

by Ken Task -

"for any issues related to installation or upgrade via Softaculous users are always welcome to open a support ticket with us (Softaculous)"

Then suggest minor change/addition to the listings for moodle ... change 'Support' to 'Moodle Community Support' (listed second) and a more obvious link for customers to submit the ticket.  The submit ticket listed first.

Also, please do come back here and post the link to your Tracker Suggested Improvement.

And one more suggestion ... join Moodle Association ...

https://moodleassociation.org/

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Brijesh Kothari -
Sure I have noted your suggestion and we will make these changes soon.

I tried to post the suggestion on the tracker but I get the following error :
Dear Moodler, before creating a new issue you need to demonstrate that you have searched among the existing issues to see if it's already been filed. Please find a similar issue from among the open issues and either start watching it or vote for it.

by Ken Task -

See we continue to 'hijack' the 'ops' posting and this 'side discussion' still not split to a thread of it's own ... sooo ..

You should begin your own thread with topic/subject for 'name of product'?

Have you searched all forums for 'Softac'?  Should hit some.

As far as Tracker ... yeah, that's how it works ... do you disagree?

Entry in Tracker ... might be best in 'Suggested New Features' ... dunno myself ... am not a programmer.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/UX-169?jql=

Also ... since your software is installed with multiple vendors offerings, get a popular vendor to grant you a site (shared/VPS or whatever) with no moodle installed .... use your own tool to install let's say a 3.5.highest to see if it installs ok.   Then your own tool again to upgrade it to 3.9.highest or a 3.10.highest.

To make your test site more realistic, install some 'popular' plugins ... themes are plugins ... so multiiple themes .... that might be eaiest when it comes to plugins.

Doing above you'd have some info for Tracker, wouldn't you?

To be sure, if provider offered options to operating systems customers could choose, one of each of those ... Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS ... etc.

Also, since not every provider has/offers cPanel, might also ask other vendors that use other panels ... like Plesk ... the same 'favor'.

When I see a new thread concerning, I'll ask a question there .. and might continue to respond.   Until then, am done contributing to this hijacked thread. smile

'SoS', Ken

by Rob Nielson -
Thank you to Leon for your help. Yes, it was an softalicious issue. Doing a clean, manual upgrade as suggested did the trick. I've had moodle since 2009 and a few times over the years I've upgraded using softalicious. Every time it would create issues. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting not to use softalicious to upgrade. So, my fault. I just need to remember not to use softalicious to upgrade! Ha.

Thank you to Brijesh for being willing to look at the issue and fix it from your end. I'm sure that'll be very helpful for your customers.
In reply to Rob Nielson

by Ken Task -

"... keep forgetting not to use softalicious to upgrade."

Suggestion going forward ...

1. Always .... Always ... run Moodle's Environment check and update the component.

2. Always ... Always ... make a site backup ... which includes code directory, moodledata directory (see * note below), and an SQL dump of the database for the moodle ... found in config.php of code.

* from past postings of Softac issues, user discovered that 'moodledata' was not called same and was actually a hidden directory (begins with a 'dot') some random ascii characters and numbers ending 'data' *located in* the directory for code ... document root (potential security issue if web service is mis-configured/not compat with .htaccess/ or breaks).

Do get the size of that directory.

Reason for getting size ... making a backup of code directory will also backup the hidden data directory.   Let's hope your account has space enough and right tool to make a .tar.gz compressed file (better compression than zip - zip being the compression tool offered in many 'panels' ... like cPanel).

If your hosting provider allows ssh to customer space, use it.  If your hosting provider allows access to git consider using git to install/update/upgrade moodle.

https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Git_for_Administrators

By far the best way to install/update/and upgrade a Moodle.

Let's hope ... maybe .... that Brijesh Kothari who appears to be Project Manager for Softac will read/test/address issues by Softac customers such that users can be directed to the ticket system for Softac *first* rather than the 'run around'.

And let's hope Softac improves their software to make it more intelligent so that customers can use it without reservation.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)