Updating issue 3.9.2

Updating issue 3.9.2

by frank weissman -
Number of replies: 4

I have a strange problem after updating to Moodle 3.9.2. ( after update from 3.5.x. and 3.9.2.

Different buttons in the installation doe not work properly ( this has been posted before but the video did not work)

The video is showing my issue ( seems a function is missing) 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to frank weissman

Re: Updating issue 3.9.2

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It looks like JavaScript is broken for the site. This can be caused when files in the Moodle source code folder are overwritten (instead of replaced) with the 3.9.2 files which you must not do. I.e. there are still files from the old version conflicting with the new files.

Ensure that the source code folder contains only Moodle 3.9.2 files, the normal way to do this is to:

1. Move the files and folders in the Moodle source code folder (the site's home directory) into a backup folder.
  2. Download and extract the Moodle 3.9.2 files into the source code folder.
  3. Copy config.php from the backup folder into the Moodle source code folder along with any additional plugins or themes you have.
If there are still problems, please provide details on how the site was upgraded from Moodle 3.5.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by frank weissman -

Thanks for the reply.   We used softalicious to upgrade, normally the software will take care of all updates, creates a backup and installs the new software..... We will check for old files 

In reply to frank weissman

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

An example of an old file which shouldn't be present with 3.9 is theme/boost/amd/src/tether.js. It's present on your site.

This forum is full of reports of sites that don't work after upgrading with Softaculous (e.g. one, two, three). Maybe it works okay for minor version updates (e.g. 3.5.13 to 3.5.14) but not for major version upgrades (e.g. 3.5.x to 3.9.x), possibly because major version changes are more like to add or remove files.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Leon Stringer

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yep, I support what Leon has said about using Softaculous. Yes, sometimes it might work, but it seems to always have some kind of problems. The real problem is that Softaculous is acting as your "moodle admin" who is doing a lot of stuff "behind the scenes." Then, when someone has a problem, we (meaning folks here who try to help) have no clue what your "moodle admin" has done, so we are unable to provide much help. This is why you will often get a reply like "talk to Softaculous," which is equivalent to "take to your moodle admin."

Also, it is not surprising that Softaculous didn't work. There were some significant changes between 3.5 and 3.9.

So, learn to install Moodle on your own and do updates on your own.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)