SInce upgrade from 3.7 to 3.10 can not upload files

SInce upgrade from 3.7 to 3.10 can not upload files

by David Ross -
Number of replies: 6

When i am logged in as administrator i can add different file types but when i try to add a 70mb zip file it fails with error 'Error connecting to the server'. Prior to the upgrade to 3.10 this was fine. I have changed the upload limit in php.ini from 40M to 500M but no joy. Any suggestions?

Attachment moodle.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Ross

Re: SInce upgrade from 3.7 to 3.10 can not upload files

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If you changed the file upload from 40M to 500M, then prior to the upgrade you could not have uploaded a 70MB file, as you suggest.

I am not the expert in this, but I believe that the maximum file upload is controlled within php.ini, then your Moodle site, then by your course, and finally an activity. A good place to begin probing is on "File upload size" in the Moodle docs.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by David Ross -
Hi Rick. It was 500M prior to the upgrade. On 3.7 we had no issues uploading files up to 500M. Now on 3.10 i have gone through the settings for upload in php.ini

Here are my current settings:

post_max_size = 500M
upload_max_filesize = 500M

I have restarted IIS. I'm running out of ideas. Still get the error Error connecting to server. Of note i can upload any other type of file if it's a few MB no problem.
In reply to David Ross

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

IIS? That's an important detail when asking for help as most Moodle servers are Apache or Nginx.

Is this a new server? Or a new website in IIS? IIS has a default transfer limit of 30000000 bytes, i.e. just under 30 MB, set in system.webServer/security/requestFiltering/requestLimits/maxAllowedContentLength.

Screenshot of IIS Manager console showing system.webServer/security/requestFiltering/requestLimits/maxAllowedContentLength

This can be set at server level as well as for individual websites.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by David Ross -
Your advice fixed my issue! Many thanks. smile
In reply to David Ross

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You also have to change the post_max_size in your php.ini