Unhiding quizzes or other items based on completion of other items

Unhiding quizzes or other items based on completion of other items

by Perry Way -
Number of replies: 2

Hello all, I'm an administrator, not an instructor. I had an instructor ask me this morning if we could create software to unhide quizzes or other items based on a student completing previous elements, be they assignments or the like, maybe previous quizzes.  I took a few courses at an institution using Moodle and saw that system operate in a manner similar to this so I suspect  there might be some kind of built in mechanism to achieve this in Moodle but unsure how to get started with that. When looking at the settings for a quiz I see there's a section on Competencies and I think that might have something to do with it. I also see a setting for Activity Completion thinking that perhaps completion of previous items A B and C might be able to create the competency required to unlock a quiz? Not really sure where to send my instructor to. Don't want to give him a wild goose chase. I realize that if a quiz is hidden that I can't set its visibility myself in a custom piece of software since visibility of a quiz is apparently made at the course level, not a unique visibility per student. I also see the Timing settings for unhiding the quiz based on a date offset and also setting the duration and ending of quizzes but this is not what my instructor is asking about. He wants a solution on a user by user basis.

Is it even possible to achieve this completion of items A B and C unlocks or unhides Quiz D on a user by user basis?

If so, would kindly like to hone in on any documentation or tutorial video that illustrates how to do this. So far, I've been unable to figure this out and I might just be unable to label this action correctly to do a search that eliminates non-matches.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Perry Way

Re: Unhiding quizzes or other items based on completion of other items

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Unhiding quizzes or other items based on completion of other items

by Perry Way -
Thank you Howard! I didn't think about this being a feature that I'd have to turn on. I will do that and experiment. Thanks again!