Moodle Version not showing up after upgrade

Moodle Version not showing up after upgrade

by Marvin Castro -
Number of replies: 9

Hi. I recently upgraded from Moodle 2.9 to 3.10 using cPanel. When I check the version number of the upgraded site using Site Administration->Notification, it just gives me the following:

The settings shown below were added during your last Moodle upgrade. Make any changes necessary to the defaults and then click the 'Save changes' button at the bottom of this page.

It won't let me continue even after pressing the 'Save changes'. Was there a problem with my installation? I need help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marvin Castro

Re: Moodle Version not showing up after upgrade

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am assuming the 'cPanel' to which you refer was actually a 'Softaculous' or other similar icon. Did it say anything or reference this:

https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Upgrading

Check the requirements

Before upgrading, check that your server meets all requirements for 3.10 in Site administration > Server > Environment.

You can only upgrade to Moodle 3.10 from Moodle 3.5 or later. If upgrading from earlier versions, you must upgrade to 3.5 as a first step

If you followed safe pre-update/upgrade recommendations, you made a site backup before clicking on any Softac icon.   Restore your site from that backup.   Provider should be able to help you do that.

Then ... lodge a complaint with where you host - evidently it allowed you to attempt a 2.9.x to 3.10 update and did not do a check of the system ... and failed.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Marvin Castro -
You are right. I upgraded from 'Softaculous.' It let me upgrade and I didn't check the requirements. There was also no option to upgrade to 3.5 first. I'm still able to access Moodle but I'm afraid I might encounter problems in the future.

by Walter DeMoss -
It can be that your host keeps backups for you. If so then I highly recommend contacting support, restoring the 2.9 and upgrading to 3.5 as Ken Says then then to 3.10. If you have the time and energy to do so it may save you lots of problems in the future. I have had lots of Softaculous errors.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Brijesh Kothari -
Hi,

I am Brijesh Kothari from the Softaculous team.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We do have a check which determines the current Moodle version and does not allow to upgrade to Moodle 3.10 unless you have Moodle 2.5+

We can take a look if you would like why it allowed you to upgrade, you can open a support ticket with us and we will look into it asap :
https://softaculous.deskuss.com/

We want to make sure the upgrades done via Softaculous works smoothly.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brijesh Kothari

by Walter DeMoss -
Well done jumping in. I host and manage all my own apps but it is great to see Softaculous responding.

by Matt T -
The only way to guarantee that your software will be supported by Moodle is to install it, configure it, and upgrade it, using a method that is supported by Moodle.

Your concern that you 'might encounter problems in the future' is not only a reasonable concern, but demonstrates you have good intuition. I get worried that these installs are a ticking time bomb. Every month that goes by that you don't do anything about it will just increase the potential fallout. At bare minimum, revert to backups.

I do have respect for Softaculous for their ambition in making dynamic website hosting more accessible to the ordinary folk. The fact it is necessary for some could perhaps be seen as an indictment on Moodle for making the setup process too difficult. But there's a pretty good setup guide now, and followed carefully, it will work.
In reply to Matt T

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Matt, Your statement, that "there's a pretty good setup guide now, and followed carefully, it will work", sounds great. However, I am constantly reading about problems with the upgrades and the need for help. If it's so easy, why are people encountering issues with the upgrades? What's wrong with a tool such as Softaculous if it works and it works. I've been upgrading Moodle since 2004. I used to do it on my own until Softaculous came along. Their support team doesn't stop until the upgrade works. They do all the troubleshooting. I don't have to worry about the site being down or the frustrations that go with it.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
From what I see, I think that we constantly read about people having problems with upgrades as often as we read about people having problems with auto-installers, like Softaculous. The problem with Softaculous is that it doesn't always work. But, you might be correct. If so, then the best advice to the OP, Marvin, is "Contact Softaculous and they will solve your problem."

Brijesh Kothari, would you agree? (Also, let us know what versions of Moodle, such as 1.9, 2.4, 3.4, etc., Softaculous can upgrade to the current version of Moodle. 3.10.1+.

Dr. Nellie Deutrsch, I think the issue is that there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of ways that people might install, or upgrade, Moodle. The Moodle docs provide the general principles. If someone, like yourself, comes across one way that works, well, then stick to it. Out of curiosity, what version of Moodle are you running? And are you running any Moodle plugins?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
I'm running a few Moodle sites version 3.11.3 and I have many additional plugins.