Trivial things to create practice quizzes in a course.

Trivial things to create practice quizzes in a course.

by cw k -
Number of replies: 8

There are something will brother teachers when they want to give some practice quizzes for students:
1. Every quiz will be a grade item in grade book.
    Take one teacher of my moodle site for example, a course the teacher teaches has 115 grade items in a course, and 67 of those are quizzes, not every quiz need to be a grade item, when he open the grade book, there a so many information that is not required. If quiz has an option can mark this quiz as practice and not be included in grade book, it would be great. (Take assignment for example, there's a "grade type" option, no grade item will create if the option is set to none.)

2. Student's can't review the quiz if s/he has not take this quiz.
     Sometimes, teacher will use quiz as an assignment, they expect to grade student if they hand in in time, but teacher expect that students can do the quiz after time's up for practice. But now the quiz activity will not allow a student to review the quiz if s/he did not do the quiz in time, so teacher needs to duplicate the quiz, set "Attempts allowed" to unlimited and set "Percentage" to zero for student.
     If quiz has an option can mark this quiz can be review or practice after time's up, and there's a practice button for student, that would be much convenience!

It would be very convenience if these feature can be implemented!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to cw k

Re: Trivial things to create practice quizzes in a course.

by Beatriz Rojo -

There are some ways to achieve what you want (or some of your requirements) with the current functionalities of the quiz:

1) There are some possibilities:

• You can create a grade category "Not graded" or "Practice tests" and organize the Gradebook so that a teacher can skip this category if s/he wants to. Then, you should match the corresponding quizzes with this category.
  • You can use H5P as the tool for practice, low-stakes tests, and the Moodle quiz for high-stakes tests. Of course, the issue with the Gradebook is not solved by itself, but again, configuring the Gradebook will help, or teachers will have a visual way to ignore these activities by ignoring the ones with the H5P logo.

2) I'd use communication and course design to achieve this and trust students' motivation and accountability. In my experience, for blended learning courses or for 100% online courses, some kind of constraints help students to organize themselves, so I always use the activity completion and the accessibility requirements. I teach adult learners and I expect them to be responsible to decide what they want to do and what not - if they think they don't want to do a practice test, that's OK, but they cannot expect to do it whenever it pleases them. I communicate I apply time limits and restrictions so that at the end of the course they don't come up with several activities they have to complete quickly, and also to be sure that all participants progress at a similar pace. This way, when students are in Topic 3, we assume that all of them have completed the activities, and share a certain similar level of knowledge. Otherwise, you will end up answering questions at the end of the course referring to the first lesson, which is not fair for you because it adds a lot of burdens to a teacher's work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

回應: Re: Trivial things to create practice quizzes in a course.

by cw k -
Thank you for your sharing.
1) I understand there's someway to achieve our requirement, but it not user-friendly enough, if system can do more, then teacher can be free from those trivial operations. And the grade book can be cleaner. (Operate on 100+ columns on the grade book is not a good experience, for example, If I want to grade 101th grade item according 100th grade item, I scroll to the 100th grade item and sort by it, then the grade book will jump to the first column, then I have to scroll to the 100th grade items again to modify 101th grade item. )
2) I'm a site manager and developer, there are thousands of teachers use my Moodle site, so I can't control how they design their course, some teacher has the requirement to let student do practice after quiz hand in time ends(maybe the quiz is just a homework for student).

Thank for your sharing, I can do some "course design sample" for teacher to learn more technique in teaching.
In reply to cw k

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
For your #1, follow Beatriz' suggestion.  Make sure to give the "practice" grade book category 0 points.

For your #2, I am not exactly sure how your quiz is set up. If a student takes a quiz, you can adjust the quiz settings so that students can always review their quiz. You can always "lock" the quiz score on the due date in the grade book, then remove the quiz due date, allow unlimited attempts, which allows any student to do more practice without affecting their grade. And you can always make a User Override to give any student more time or more attempts.

I am not sure how your course is set up. But, as an example, two quizzes might suffice, one for practice and one for the final grade.

In my own case, I only use one quiz, and I allow unlimited attempts. After the due date, I "lock" the grade in the grade book (as I suggested above) and remove the quizzes due date. This allows any student to practice a quiz as much as they want, yet it also provides the same quiz as a graded item. Then I also have several "exams" that can only be taken once.

I believe that the features that you seek already exist and that you just need to review some of the quiz settings and grade book settings to better understand what one can do.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
MDL-20329 is the feature request for 2)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
An interesting issue... being able to review something that was never attempted.

When I "lock" the grade book and then turn off the due date, I am giving every student the ability to do more "practice" quizzes. I have also set the quiz to allow students to review any previous (graded) quiz. So I have somewhat taken care of the need to review. But sure, this is only the way I do it and perhaps there should be a general (standard) method.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

回應: Re: Trivial things to create practice quizzes in a course.

by cw k -
Is "lock" means to override the grade manually when the quiz ends according to the grade from system?

Your methods is good to achieve the requirement, I can provide those methods to the teachers.
But I still hope there's another method is more convenient for teachers, make Moodle be more user-friendly.

Thank for your suggestions!