Quiz, 3 attempts, should end at first time when meeting constraints. How?

Quiz, 3 attempts, should end at first time when meeting constraints. How?

by Robin de Rooy -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Reader,

I have an exam. Students have 3 attempts to pass this exam. The note should be 7.5 out of 10 or 75% score.
However, the exam should stop if the result is met at first attempt already.

Example:
At the 1st attempt, result is 10, 100%, I still get 2 attempts. 'Redo the test'.
At the 2nd attempt, having a 9, 90%, I still get 1 attempt. 'Redo the test'.
After the 3rd attempt, doing a gamble, score 4, 40%, I get the message 'Finish the test' or something simular.

Question: the test has to stop after the first positive attempt. How can this be done?

At the property field 'Grade' (Cijfer) I -only- have the options:
 - highest   <------ this one is chosen
 - average
 - first attempt
 - final attempt

Regards,
Robin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin de Rooy

Re: Quiz, 3 attempts, should end at first time when meeting constraints. How?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Out of curiosity, is each exam exactly the same, or are these randomized question exams?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Robin de Rooy -
Thanks for your interest!

For now it are 40 questions. Fixed. That is, the second time they are randomized, but still: the same 40 questions. The third time like wise.
I was about changing this to randomized questions out of a database later (number of questions per chapter), but I do not have enough questions to do so - yet.

So, yes, fixed. And after a full score, still a new attempt is offered.

by Rick Jerz -
So, a student could take the exam, make a copy (or print) every question, maybe answer only 34, submit, and see that they certainly got four wrong (unanswered), but they could note their answers to the the 34 and which they got right or wrong. They would be purposely "failing." Then, they repeat this again. Any question that they got correct on the first attempt they leave blank. Again, failure, but they note which questions they got right and wrong. And finally, on the last attempt, they take this one seriously, knowing the answers to many of the questions. They, of course, get their best score on their last attempt.

I am not sure what advantage your method has over simply allowing three attempts, and keeping the highest. Then the student would not have to play any games.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Robin de Rooy -

I think we have a misunderstanding. The test is just "allowing three attempts, and keeping the highest." as you said. My point is: what is the reason Moodle lets you do 3 attempts as the first one is already meeting all requirements? If the student has its maximum score at first attempt - there is no need to offer another 2. It is already the highest.

I was expecting Moodle to finish the test but doesn't. It lets you 'restart' the test until all attempts are used.

My test is about passing the test. All above 75% is 'pass', otherwise 'fail'. The grade itself is not important. A score of 75%, 80%, 94% does not matter. You pass. So, if I require 75% good answers, and this is reached at the first attempt, why does Moodle not quit the test? Due to the requirement, you pass the test. Redo is of no use. Only when you fail the first attempt, you should get another one to get a better score in order to pass.

Thanks for your thinking ...

by Rick Jerz -
"My point is: what is the reason Moodle lets you do 3 attempts as the first one is already meeting all requirements? If the student has its maximum score at first attempt - there is no need to offer another 2. It is already the highest."

Yes. Don't you think that the student will figure that out? Is there any harm if the student wants to take it again? Might you have some students who are "perfectionists" who might get a 95, but want to do the test again for a perfect score?

Relative to "pass/fail," I believe that you can create the logic in the student's grade book that anything below a score of 75 gets converted to a 0 (or even >75 =100.) Then tell students that this is why you allow three attempts.

As a suggestion, if you want to make this exam a little more challenging, create more (similar) questions and pick the questions randomly.  This will benefit students who get a perfect score on their first attempt by allowing them more practice, and it will make the exam more challenging for those who do not get a perfect score.