Students showing in grader column for quiz

Students showing in grader column for quiz

by Bobby Deetz -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all, 

I'm using Moodle 3.8. In the Grade History report for a quiz, an instructor noticed that students' names were included in the "grader" column, causing them to worry that students can change their own grades. I know they cannot, but I would like to be able to explain this. I found this sentence in the Quiz help documentation, "Note: If your course contains quizzes or workshops, then you will see your students listed in the 'Grader' dropdown. This is expected as they are graders in a workshop and self-grade in a quiz." I am not sure what a "self-grade in a quiz" is referring to. The quiz in question is definitely a regular quiz where the instructor does all the grading. Can someone elaborate? Thanks so much, Bobby

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bobby Deetz

Re: Students showing in grader column for quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is more of a gradebook question than a quiz question.

And, I don't know why the gradebook is behaving like that. It does not make sense to me. I think tho docs read like an attempt to justify the current behavour of the code, rather than being a good reason.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi both. I remember this, as I commented on it in this tracker issue: MDL-47611
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bobby Deetz -
Hi Mary,
Thanks so much for the link to this tracker. Still trying to learn how to read these after all these years... seems like the short answer is that if I don't do this Travis thing, my 3.8 will simply show all participants in my grade history for my quiz. I can see how this would be disconcerting to an instructor who is running the grade history report. My real problem started when an instructor said that a grade had been changed to zero and she swears she didn't do it. I can see in the quiz that the grade is 95, but the student's grade history does not reflect this. Only zeros. I'm having to tell the instructor that they probably clicked the set empty grades to zero by accident, although I'm not sure why the history of having a 95 would never show. Meanwhile, they freaked out because they can see the student as a grader in the grade history and thought maybe they have changed it. I guess this row of data simply indicates that the quiz was taken. I'm attaching a couple of snapshots for fun, in case you have any further thoughts. Thank you! 
Attachment grade history report.png
Attachment student name.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bobby Deetz -
Sorry, Tim. I was working with a quiz and looking at the grade history for the quiz so I had quiz on my mind. Also, I'm really trying to understand this sentence, "Note: If your course contains quizzes or workshops, then you will see your students listed in the 'Grader' dropdown. This is expected as they are graders in a workshop and self-grade in a quiz." I would follow it with just the first sentence, but the second made me wonder if a particular quiz had to be set as "self-grade" to cause this - which mine isn't.