error/xml_parsing_error

error/xml_parsing_error

by David Aldrich -
Number of replies: 4

I am trying to import a quiz from one class to another and this error comes up. I am fairly new to Moodle so I am not sure where to start looking.

What I do know. This error started occuring after I upgraded the server. I am currently running 3.9.2. I am not sure if it is realated the database or to the character set I am using. By default the server was set to utf8. 

When clickiing on the link "More information about this error" it tells me that there is no information about this error. I really could use some help about where to start looking. 
Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Aldrich

Re: error/xml_parsing_error

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Change Debugging to Developer level temporarily. That should give more information about what the problem is.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Aldrich -

Thank you so much for your response!

This is what it returns:

error/xml_parsing_error

More information about this error

×Debug info: XML error: Invalid character at line 502516, column 1028
Error code: xml_parsing_error
$a contents:
×Stack trace:
  • line 180 of /backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php: progressive_parser_exception thrown
  • line 158 of /backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php: call to progressive_parser->parse()
  • line 464 of /backup/util/dbops/restore_dbops.class.php: call to progressive_parser->process()
  • line 177 of /backup/util/helper/restore_prechecks_helper.class.php: call to restore_dbops::load_categories_and_questions_to_tempids()
  • line 427 of /backup/controller/restore_controller.class.php: call to restore_prechecks_helper::execute_prechecks()
  • line 173 of /backup/import.php: call to restore_controller->execute_precheck()

Do you think I am correct in assuming it is because I need to change my character set?

Thank you so much.

In reply to David Aldrich

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well everything in the Moodle world should be UTF-8. You are probably right that the error suggests you have an invalid character somewhere, and if you can find and remove it, that would fix the restore.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Aldrich -

Thank you so much for your help. I will let you know if I find out more.

Thanks again!