Importing and exporting quiz questions

Importing and exporting quiz questions

by Roy Jensen -
Number of replies: 2

I am part of a group of instructors wanting to share our assessments (quizzes). Unfortunately, they are not all on the same platform. We are specifically having problems importing Moodle quizzes into Blackboard. Does anyone have experience with this?

TIA!

For reference: I asked to join the Blackboard community last week. Nothing.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roy Jensen

Re: Importing and exporting quiz questions

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It cannot be done reliably because the question types vary significantly. More than 10 years ago there were some scripts for moving some types between the platforms, but even they had issues and limitations on what question types were supported.. So in theory you might find that script and get it updated, but in my view it is not worth the effort.

Have you considered sharing resources through LTI, which gives transparent access to a different platform and you get all the features of either/both platforms. It should be possible to go both ways, i.e. a user in Moodle gets to see BB course content as if they were still on BB, and vice versa. LTI is the best of all the e-learning standards in my view and is often overlooked. I was recently experimenting with it as a way to get access to 3rd party question types on Moodle Cloud (which doesn't allow the installation of plugins). Just for fun mind you.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Roy Jensen

Re: Importing and exporting quiz questions

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Your question is fine, and Marcus has given some good advice.

Generally speaking, to import questions into any LMS, you have to rely upon support from the specific LMS. You were correct in seeking Blackboard support for your question. What you have so far discovered is that you are getting more advice from Moodle's support than Blackboard's support. You might want to let your group of instructors using Blackboard know this.

Historically, I have had great success importing questions from Blackboard into Moodle. However, I have not had the need to go the other way, mainly because the universities where I have worked got rid of Blackboard many years ago. The school where I worked at around five years ago is still a Blackboard customer. This is why I switched to Moodle around 10 years ago.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)