Moodle Cloud / remove unused files

Moodle Cloud / remove unused files

by Sébastien d'Ornano -
Number of replies: 9

To save on file storage, I want to remove/erase/delete unused files. But how ?

I can't find access to the repository.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sébastien d'Ornano

Re: Moodle Cloud / remove unused files

by Kelly Howell -
You will need to delete the files from every location that they are located in.

If you are using Moodle For School Theme:
Go into your Site Administration settings
Go into your Server files (Site Administration > Server > Files), select a file you want to remove and click “View in context”, this will take you to the course where the file is located.
You could also go straight to the course where the file is located.
Turn editing on in your course
Click the edit arrow next to where the file is (if unknown, go into each section of the course to try and find where the file is located) select “edit settings”.
Select Manage files.
Select the unused file you want to delete and click “Delete selected files”.
Your files will now be removed from your Moodle site.

Please note that the automated cron clean up process runs daily, so these deleted documents may appear to be still there immediately after deletion, but they will be deleted the next time the clean up process runs. If you continue to check on the files, it creates drafts and prolongs the deletion of the files.

If you are trying to delete assignment files, unfortunately, you cannot leave an assignment submission with no file after one has been submitted. This is a known problem in Moodle with a very long history in our issue tracker. There are a few ways you can work around this:

Wait until your course has finished, export the grades if you need to save them and then reset the course - this removes all data that was in the course (including files).

In the file picker, remove the PDF and upload a small dummy file (empty text file will do) and then save that as the students submission. An empty text file should only be a few bytes in size compared to the several megabyte PDF.

We realize that this situation isn't ideal, but this assignment submission file handling is an issue in Moodle itself, and is not specific to the MoodleCloud environment.

Hope this helps.
Warm regards,
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Kelly Howell

by Tom Khazoyan -
I have this issue. I am not able to find any files to delete them in my system. I am using a MoodleCloud school, hosted by Moodle, not my own server. I am able to see all of the files, but have no option to delete. The files do not exist on any page/activity/section/week, etc. They have been deleted from pages. But my file storage remains the same.

Is there no file management system for a MoodleCloud school setup?

Thanks for the help. It is urgent that I find a solution to this. I have posted elsewhere and have received no replies.

Tom
In reply to Tom Khazoyan

by david mueller -

Hi Tom. Did you get your files issue resolved? We have the same problem [using moodlecloud] and can’t delete files. We’re at our storage limit and can’t move forward until we figure this out. 

In reply to Kelly Howell

by Sylvia B. Hayes -
I am having the same issue. I cannot find the video files I have deleted, but they are still showing up in my storage???
In reply to Sylvia B. Hayes

by david mueller -
Any luck, Sylvia? We are stuck on this same problem. Hoping you may have found a solution. Thanks.
In reply to david mueller

by Zuriñe Echaniz -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Hi David,

Did you manage to delete the files? If not, could you please raise a ticket with our support so we can help you with further instructions?

Please check our solution article on how to open a ticket from your MoodleCloud portal for faster support: Contact MoodleCloud Support.

Regards,
Zuriñe
In reply to Zuriñe Echaniz

by david mueller -
Thank you, Zuriñe. We have not been able to delete files. The files are not related to student assignments. The files are not in use. I did notice that many files seem to have the same name, which might be part of the problem. We don’t see an option to delete or rename.

Coincidentally, we opened a ticket yesterday (#136984) but unfortunately we received a reply that included similar advice as listed above, which isn’t working, so we are still stuck.  I will reply to the ticket with an update. 

Thank you for checking in with us.
David
In reply to david mueller

by Davin Scampton -

Thank you to all the people asking this question. I have come across the same issue - was experimenting with a video and added it as an embedded file (something I tell all my staff not to do). Now I have a large file that I cannot get rid off.

Site Admin => Server => Files => but the only action is 'View in context'

Unsure of the next move in this case

Davin

In reply to Davin Scampton

by Barbara van Dongen -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
  • When creating Resources in Moodle/MoodleCloud, images and other files can be embedded for participants/students to use. 
  • Files for Resources are stored with the Resource. If you delete the entire Resource, your MoodleCloud site's cron should delete all associated files, as long as they are not being used elsewhere on your site.
  • When updating Resources, selecting and deleting the image or file from the contents does not necessarily delete the file from the Resource.
  • To see what files are associated with a Resource, but not used by it:
    • Edit the Resource (Label/Book/Page/etc)
    • Click on the 'Manage files' icon in the Content editor

• This will open the 'Manage files' pop-up:
    • Here you can view (and manage) all files associated with the Resource. 
    • The 'Unused files' section identifies files that are still stored but unused.
    • Select any you wish to delete and 'Delete selected files'.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)