Quiz that contains HTML tags in the Choice Options

Quiz that contains HTML tags in the Choice Options

by Mel Winnie -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I have a quiz I am creating for a course topic on basic HTML web page creation. Therefore my quiz questions / answers may contain actually HTML code tags.

I am finding that when a multiple question is created and the use of HTML tags are needed for the possible choices to the question, there is no text showing for the HTML tag options.

Let me give you an example here:.

Questions Mutlipe Choice
What containers are required for a link tag?

Possible choice answers I have:
Choice1 <a href=link.html></a>
Choice2 <a href=link.html><a>
Choice3 <a href=link.html></a>

When this quiz is viewed by a participant they only see the question and options A. B. C. with no text beside the options with the tags I entered for the choices when making the quiz.

Is there a way around this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mel Winnie

Re: Quiz that contains HTML tags in the Choice Options

by Jeff Forssell -
If you replace the < with  &lt;  (the html code for "less than")
like this

&lt;a href=link.html>link text&lt;/a> it works.  Than it can't be recognized as tags.

You could also replace the > with &gt;  if you want it to look more "symmetrical" but I think its easier to read this way.
In reply to Mel Winnie

by Gustav W Delius -
This is a bug (related to bug 4844). For the time being you have to use Jeff's workaround.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Jeff Forssell -
I wasn't aware it was a "bug", thought it might be a "feature" that one can use HTML formating in the questions, alternatives and feedback.  So I checked the bug.

"I've had a report that quiz answers in multiple choice (and possible elsewhere) can not currently contain < and > characters, probably because they get interpreted as tags.  This shouldn't happen if p() or s() is being used."

What does "p()"  and "s()" refer to?

I hope the "bug fix" will not lead to diminished possibility to format the feedback etc. It would seem like overkill to have an RTF editor for every field just to be able to use < instead of &lt;.