Moodle Hosting Service provider with STACK requirements

Moodle Hosting Service provider with STACK requirements

by James Asante -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All

I desperately need to use STACK Qtype. My cloud service provider is unable to install the requirements (gcc, gnuplot and Maxima) on their server for me. Could anyone assist by recommending a Moodle hosting service provider who runs STACK?

I would be very grateful.

James

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Asante

Re: Moodle Hosting Service provider with STACK requirements

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You don't have to (and probably should not) run Maxima on your Moodle sever. Better to put in on another server. There is a tool that lets you do that: https://github.com/maths/stack_util_maximapool, and some people have packaged that up as a docker container: https://github.com/uni-halle/maximapool-docker. If you can find a way to run that, that is probably your best bet.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Asante -

Thank you very much, Tim. My service provider still says they can't help. 

In reply to James Asante

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It would like to know exactly what your hosting provider said. I am interested in the provision of the required elements to run stack and I pay around $US11 a month for hosting that provides everything necessary for me to run it for experimental purposes.

Assuming you have a reasonable budget the problem for you is not getting the hosting or the software but the expertise to configure and maintain it. So that would require someone familiar with the LAMP stack (the stuff that runs any interactive web site), and also to understand and deal with docker/ and the maxima stuff Tim refers to and how that ties to Moodle.

I am not a Mathematician but I have been looking at STACK on and off for many years and it is clearly an awesomely powerful tool. What stage are you at in working with STACK, have you tried it at all?
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Asante -

Hi Marcus

I see STACK as a very useful too I need to learn. I installed it in my 3.9 Moodle but could not complete the first tutorial Diff (1-x)^3 because it required Maxima etc.

I am currently on a shared cloud based server and my service provider says I need my own server for the purpose.

Regards

James