[3.8.4+] Navigation block suddenly removed from all courses... how to bring them all back ?

[3.8.4+] Navigation block suddenly removed from all courses... how to bring them all back ?

by Jeff Noel -
Number of replies: 1

Hey guys,

We've got a few devs working on our instance all at once and it seems like someone screwed up and all our navigation blocks were removed from courses. Only admins can see the "Admin" panel and that's it. 

For what it's worth, we recently reset everyone's "my_pages" dashboard (/my/), but nobody was (supposedly) playing with course blocks.

Any way to insert this block back into all courses through MySQL

When I went and looks at how many instances of the Navigation block there is (in /admin/blocks.php), it shows only "1" and the number isn't clickable for this block.

The Navigation block is still visible in all /my/ dashboards, just not in courses anymore...

I've checked our theme settings and I'll try to clear the cache and fiddle with it (we haven't updated it in a month so it shouldn't have been played with).

Also, the navigation block just cannot be added through the dropdown in courses (even though it'd be visible there, I feel like it wouldn't make sense to to this manually for 15K courses).

Any tips appreciated !

Edit: Flushed the theme cache AND Moodle's cache folder. Still the same issue. 
I'll go triple-check in all the "navigation" settings from the admin panel...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Noel

Re: [3.8.4+] Navigation block suddenly removed from all courses... how to bring them all back ?

by Jeff Noel -
Found out and the "block editing" permission is given to all teachers by default since Moodle 2.3... someone probably edited where the Navigation block is displayed for everyone. I can't find logs of any modification to blocks in the general logs. I deleted all permissions except for admins to edit the block with contextid = 7 (the Navigation block).

Kind-of bummed that I cannot find who did this though... but at least this problem is solved.