Moodle version 2.2 upgrade and php version

Moodle version 2.2 upgrade and php version

by Vincent Lallo -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I have two questions. I'm in the process of moving my moodle site to a new server. In my server it has the latest php version (7.3). I was wondering if I will have to perform an upgrade to a newer version of moodle? If so my current moodle version is 2.2 (Build: 20120514) what version can I safely upgrade to? from my current version. 

Thank you in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vincent Lallo

Re: Moodle version 2.2 upgrade and php version

by Brandon Jimenez -

The short answer is, using Visvanath perfect table, yes. However, it can be tricky, since we don't really know if you can do it now. If you absolutely need to keep using 2.2, you should install a multiPHP extension to your server, and have a separate instance for it.

Hope it helps

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brandon Jimenez

by Vincent Lallo -

Thank you, I don't necessarily need to keep using 2.2. My question would be now. Could I possibly use the data, config.php file and moodledata folder from version 2.2 in a newer version of moodle without having to go through the entire upgrade process? Thank you again. 

In reply to Vincent Lallo

by Brandon Jimenez -
'without having to go through the entire upgrade process?' I don't necessarily understand, but you could potentially use the same data and moodledata, but the upgrade process is going to change it. besides, I think your route would be something like
2.2 - 2.7 - 2.9 - 3.0 - 3.2.... and so on until you get to 3.9.

Hope it helps
In reply to Brandon Jimenez

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Correct. The OP's question has a contradiction. "use the data, config.php file and moodledata folder from version 2.2 in a newer version of moodle" is the "upgrade process". Also notice that he has omitted the central piece of data which holds everything together, the database!

Anyway, about the upgrade path. Nobody forbids you, if you enjoy visiting all stations. Often people look for a short or the shortest path. One can find such paths taking the column "Earliest from" in to account. http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#php-and-dbms-compatibility-of-major-moodle-releases