Quiz as only formative assessment

Quiz as only formative assessment

by John Andre -
Number of replies: 7

I would like to setup a series of weekly quizzes that do not count towards a student's grade. That is, the purpose of the quiz is only to allow the student to check to see if they understand well (I have lots of other assessments that do impact their grade).

Normally, I would assign points to each item in a quiz but I do not want the success or failure of a quiz attempt to influence a student's grade in any way.

My thought is to leave the maximum mark for each individual question  = 1 and set the Maximum grade for the quiz = 0. This would allow them to easily see how many questions they got right (their total marks) but would not affect their grade at all.

Is my understanding here correct? Is there anything I should be worried about going down this path?

Any insights are welcome.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andre

Re: Quiz as only formative assessment

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi John,
Currently I'm retired from teaching, but the way I used to handle this was by having a totally separate Random Quiz course. I enrolled all my students in it. Each "subject" had a ten question quiz that could be taken as many times as a student want to. The questions were selected randomly from the appropriate "subject" question bank, in which I usually had forty or more questions. Students concentrated on the quiz/quizzes appropriate for the current week. Having this setup of a separate course made it so I never had to worry about accidentally messing up their grades in the course that actually counted.
If you use your method of including the practice quizzes in the actual course, you can go into grade setup and hide the practice items. You will need to remember to do this every time you add a new practice quiz. Being forgetful myself, that's why I opted for a totally separate Random Quiz course.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by John Andre -
Thanks for this idea but I really want to keep everything in one course.
In reply to John Andre

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I do something like this in my courses except that I like to give students credit whenever they do anything. I call these "self-assessments." It would be up to you to decide how many quiz points to provide. You could also group all of your quizzes into one grade book category, and then make the category be worth what ever you want (including 0) toward the students grade. I have found that if something is graded, that students then have an incentive to do these self-assessments. I also retain their highest score, and this is what then goes into their grade book. So students can never "do worse" by re-attempting a quiz.

Al offers some good ideas, too. In my case, I prefer to built these self-assessments into my courses. But sure, they could be put into another course.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Andre -
Thanks for the ideas. Actually, I do give them credit but I give them credit simply for attempting the quizzes. I give them five points for each five quizzes they attempt (maximum extra credit = 10 points). I do not want to give them credit for each quiz individually (even for taking it) because I am trying to build their habit of going back to Moodle every week.

Now I am wondering, is there a way to give them credit using more complicated logic like this (e.g., 5 points for each 5 quizzes attempted)?
In reply to John Andre

by Rick Jerz -
I don't know. But be careful. You don't want to encourage students to just guess. You want student to "learn." This is probably why I let student retain their highest grade.

(You especially don't want students to create a keyboard macro that automatically allows them to keep trying quizzes, unattended.)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Andre

by Jon Bolton -

Have you thought about adding a category for your formative quizzes in the gradebook? That way, the individual attempt quiz scores still count by their weight on the overall student grade can be lowered.

https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Grade_categories

Average of ratings: Useful (1)