Migrating from district account to personal account

Migrating from district account to personal account

by Jeff Sloan -
Number of replies: 2

I have been teaching with Moodle for a decade via my school district's Moodle account. The school district is moving away from Moodle in August, but I am hesitant to make the change as I fear documents and data will be lost. Further, I do not wish to start from scratch with a new platform.

I would like, therefore, to move my Moodle account from its current home within my school district's account and into a new personal account that I will create separately. 

I am unsure of the version of Moodle our district uses, but when I generate a backup of my Moodle data, the file name includes this code: 20200713-1542. I am not sure how meaningful that is.

I have a two questions:

1. Is the account conversion that I described possible?
  2. If it is possible, what are the steps?

Any feedback or help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Sloan

Re: Migrating from district account to personal account

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You don't sound like you are admin of the schools moodle, thus the only info you'd need from the admin person is what version of Moodle.

You could however kinda know but using any of the help buttons while logged onto your schools moodle ... that will point to docs for that version.

For you to continue to use your courses you would need to restore a backup (.mbz file which is date and time stamped in the filename ... what why you saw 20200713 in the filename) to your server where you are admin.

Once you find out version then it's a matter of deciding:

1. just for your use - you could install a moodle meant for development ... runs on local machine (mac or Windows)

2. students continue to use.

If 2 ... choosing a hosting provider that has the php/mysql/space etc. requirements for the version of Moodle.

Installing the moodle server ... once that's up and running you could restore your course backup.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Jeff Sloan

Re: Migrating from district account to personal account

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

If you don't have very many courses backup and restore is an easy path:
- https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Course_backup
- download the mbz file to your local computer
- https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Course_restore

If you have admin rights at both ends, you can take the user data with you. Otherwise only course content.