Select specific distractors for each gap in the gapfill question type

Select specific distractors for each gap in the gapfill question type

by Harry Kalantzis -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I'm in Moodle 3.8.2.

An instructor has written a paragraph with gaps and distractors, so students can choose from a dropdown list.

However they want each gap to show specific distractors and not all distractors (including the ones that are available in other gaps).

Is that possible?

I wasn't able to find relevant documentation on how to do this.

Any help much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harry Kalantzis

Re: Select specific distractors for each gap in the gapfill question type

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you are referring to the Gapfill question type, the answer is that it is not possible. It was designed to be easy to use and so the options are always displayed for each gap. However it can be done with the Core Cloze question type, which has quite. complex syntax but is very powerful.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Marcus,
Just a suggestion in case you have some free time left.thoughtful
In the Add Gap Settings section, specific distractors to the currently edited gap could be added in a 3rd (text-only) field. See attached mock screen.
By the way, in Gapfill, the Distractors field should be text-only, not the full text editor, which does not make sense here.
And in the Add Gap Settings section, the 2 fields are missing the labels : Correct feedback / Incorrect feedback.
Wishing you a fruitful and restful summer,
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thank you Joseph, you are wonderful.

I am currently working on some code for single use draggables, i.e. when you drop an item into a gap it disappears from the list. It works but I have no timeframe for release because testing etc. I have been using the distractor field for about 8 years and never noticed it should be plain text. Of course I am slightly reluctant to change something that appears on every form but it seems to strip any HTML anyway soooo...
With reference to using the gap settings form, I had started to wonder if anyone ever noticed it smile

I think I want to get more feedback on its current use before extending its current purpose of per gap feedback. But it would be the right place to put an option for options per drop down. So many ideas so little time.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Harry Kalantzis -
Hi Marcus. Many thanks for letting me know about the cloze question type. Four years working in Moodle, I hadn't noticed it existed!

Using a tool like this helped me make those dropdowns faster.

Thanks again,

by Marcus Green -
'Four years working in Moodle, I hadn't noticed it existed!'

Well it is quite confusing but also very powerful. I consider it the nuclear chainsaw of question types as it is amazingly powerful but you really have to know what you are doing with it. *

I created Gapfill because of my frustration with the syntax and the knowledge that so many people would give up before they created any quesitons.

I had forgotten about that link for creating the questions outside Moodle. If you can get plugins installed on your site you can have access to that functionality from within the Moodle editor.
https://moodle.org/plugins/atto_cloze

(* nobody has ever lost a limb with Cloze question type, but some people have lost quite a bit of time)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry, I don't see clearly what you mean. Please provide a concrete example.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Harry Kalantzis -
Thanks, Joseph. Marcus answered my question.