Try H5P on our School demo site

Try H5P on our School demo site

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Our School demonstration site, Mount Orange, is now on the latest version of Moodle, 3.9 and as part of the new features you can explore, there is a basic English language course English with H5P with examples of some of the (many) H5P activities. Feel free to log in as a student with the username student and password moodle - or else log in as a teacher with the username teacher and password moodle to try them out.
And while you're there, why not try other Moodle 3.9 new features (such as course copying) from a Manager point of view with the username manager and password moodle?

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Try H5P on our School demo site

by Dave Emsley -
I'm assuming the voice is generated as it reads out the punctuations. What did you use to create this please?
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It's the dictation H5P activity and you either record and upload or you can record directly into H5P. Obviously that's not my voice - it was created by a Learn Moodle regular John Bennett
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for sharing Mary! smile

With the more comprehensive integration with Moodle 3.9, H5P is looking really useful.

I like that it can be deployed anywhere with Atto. This means it's possible to insert quick focus on form tasks alongside texts so that the language items remain in context with their co-text -- a very important consideration in modern AppLing/SLA-informed instruction!

For example, I can imagine an A2 level dialogue about daily habits where we'd use a couple of H5P activities for processing instruction (e.g. Benati, 2017; Benati & Schweiter, 2019; Nassaji & Fotos, 2010) to focus on how the Present Simple is used & formed in this context & to provide the use of non-examples such as Present Continuous or Past Simple as errors (learners differentiate between correct & incorrect utterances/responses).

I also like the CSS styling of H5P, even though it's inconsistent with Moodle's styling, because the input areas are better aligned with paragraphs of text. See my critique on the Quiz styling for Embedded Cloze qtype here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=404858

Re: dictations, I like the alternate, slower version option. I use it to provide a time-stretched/slower tempo version of the same recording, i.e. the playback speed is slowed down without altering the pitch so that learners can hear the pronunciation of connected speech in more detail. It's easy enough to do with Audacity https://www.audacityteam.org/ in Effect > Change tempo...  In my experience, students feel a lot more confident with their listening & pronunciation as a result. I'd be interested to see if there's been any research on this smile

So yeah, lots to like about H5P for foreign & second language learning! smile

References

Benati, A. (2017). The Role of Input and Output Tasks in Grammar Instruction: Theoretical, Empirical and Pedagogical Considerations. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 7(3), 377–396.
Benati, A., & Schwieter, J. W. (2019). Pedagogical Interventions to L2 Grammar Instruction. In J. W. Schwieter & A. Benati (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Language Learning (1st ed., pp. 477–499). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108333603.021
Nassaji, H., & Fotos, S. S. (2010). Teaching Grammar in Second Language Classrooms: Integrating Form-Focused Instruction in Communicative Context (1 edition). Routledge.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Matt,
I absolutely subscribe and share your opinion of H5P for language teaching and learning.
You mention the CSS styling of H5P - do you mean you can "hack" something? My knowledge of CSS is super basic but I am able to change somethings in Moodle and in ADAPT, but never managed to change anything of the appearance of H5P. Could you elaborate?
Thanks!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Courter -
I'm creating H5P Activities in the Content banks of my Moodle Cloud site to use in courses on my school's Moodle site.

1) The "Reuse" button (for Downloading) does not display for any H5P Activity created on my site. Is there an setting I need to change?

2) Activities created in the Content bank of courses are are not displayed in the site level Content bank and visa versa. Why?
In reply to Jim Courter

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Jim.

1. When you add an H5P activity via Add an activity and resource >H5P are you definitely ticking "Allow download" in the collapsible section "H5P options"? I tried on my MoodleCloud site and I did have the 'Reuse' link when I did that.
  2. If you create an H5P activity as above and then from the file picker select the Content bank repository you can search the site for H5P added in other courses including the site level (assuming you have that level of permission such as being site admin) See the section Searching the  content bank in the documentation Content bank

Average of ratings: Useful (1)