Moodle is 18

Moodle is 18

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 4

Double task

Long, long ago (2004)  - I just had discovered Moodle - I saw a free available software tool you can run on a server, then easy start a new activity: place an article on the left side and discuss that in a forum on the right side of the same screen.
Since then I wish to have that product, not standaloen but integrated in my new Moodle. Since then I put it for many years on my Moodle wishlist for Xmas.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a module in Moodle where you could select a moodle resource type on the left and combine this with a moodle activity on the right side? No clicking and navigating, just open the module and do your task as student..

Resource and forum in one screen

Ubiquitous D3E  (created by KMI/OU England)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Moodle is 18

by Ger Tielemans -
Instead of navigating from instruction... to resource... to forum.. the student in Moodle can stay on the same (course-overview) page and focus on the task instead of on the navigation. I am surprised that even the new LMS systems do not copy this strong outline mechanism from Moodle. Text-filters like the embedded questions even lower the need for leaving a document for a subtask like answering a quick question. A mechanism - called the super-module where you even could combine two modules in frames on the same page like in Ubiquitous D3E would refine this even more: So is it an idea for Moodle headquarter to create this super-module as a present for all the fans for this 18 birthday?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Ger,

Is Moodle 3.9's take on H5P an option to consider? I did the following to create something similar to what I think you aim to achieve:

I created an H5P iFrame embedder instance with a link to a website (or a PDF uploaded to Moodle) in the content bank
Then, I went to a forum and edited the description / task area of the settings, clicked the Add H5P button > Browse repositories > Content bank and selected the resource I created.

I then saved the settings and checked to see whether that works.

Note: the H5P filter should be enabled and the URL of the Moodle instance (including pathtoH5P) should be added as an allowed source.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Ger Tielemans -
You are right, that is one way to do it: also W3C school can help you to do it manually you can create this kind of dual panes with HTML coding: I use it for example for e-voting to show two voting moments (before and after X ) on one "reflection" screen, but for less-techy users it would be nice.. and an invitation to make it for the student more easy.