creating custom user roles

creating custom user roles

by Tim Lambert -
Number of replies: 2

I have been asked if it possible to setup teacher/manager type roles that are specific to a particular group of users rather than a course. So for example there would be students in group a, b and c (which I guess could be setup as groups or cohorts) and then managers who could only access info/edit/create/delete users in that particular group. I've also asked if a role can be created to just view results students that are in a particular group. Finally I've been asked if I can create a 'buddy' type role so a student could submit some work and the 'buddy' could authorise/sign off manually.

I have only done a little work with modifying roles before, so I just wondered if anyone else out there had done anything like this before and had any advice as to whether this was possible or best way to achieve something like this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are running moodle v3.8.3.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Lambert

Re: creating custom user roles

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do groups cut across courses or other organisational structures? If you can set up such that each cohort is mirrored by a course category (containing their courses) then you can go someway towards this by assigning managers at the category level.

Creating/deleting users is a site-wide activity so that's not so simple.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: creating custom user roles

by Tim Lambert -

Many thanks for your quick response. Just so I understand correctly of I had a cohort e.g. Group A and as you say mirrored with a course category something like Group A Courses, I could assign a manager to the Group A Courses category. Wouldn't the manager role then allow me to create delete users, for this category, or would it be that they could create users at a site wide level for any category anyway?

Many Thanks