Moodle Forums bug - groups issue

Moodle Forums bug - groups issue

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 2

I have been receiving reports from my teachers (and have now experienced first hand) a weird intermittant bug with forums in my 1.6 installation.

I have my students split into groups to facilitate sepereate classes. A forum was created with "visible groups" selected and the students asked to go in and post.

Now out of my class of 25, 7 cannot start discussions or reply. Only read. I double checked that these students were in the correct group and they were. I removed them and re-added them to the group with no effect. I even removed them from the course and put them back..and still the issue occurs.

Again I point out that the rest of the class had no problems, just these seven students out of the 25. This is happening in many of my courses with no determined pattern and impacting different students in different courses.

I tried going to "seperate groups" just to see what would occur. And, as expected, the seven students could see no posts at all.

The randomness of this is what is driving me insane. Suggestions (and even better solutions) are trully appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Moodle Forums bug - groups issue

by Thomas Robb -
Is there anything "special" that you can think of for those 7 who have been singled out?  For example, are their id numbers higher than anyone else's?  Have they set something in their profiles that the others haven't?  Do they all belong to another course that the others don't?  Have they been enrolled in your moodle in a different manner from the rest?   Does the behavior continue if you enroll them in another "test" course?

I'm just clutching at straws here, but once you can discover the common factor, the bug will be easy to trace.
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Moodle Forums bug - groups issue

by Carol Ferries -
Hi, I am new to using Moodle and have been trying for several hours today to set up a forum in group mode, as I have three classes taking the same course. I am also experiencing the same problem described above, except that none of my students are being allowed to post in the forum. The only way they can post is if I set the forum to no groups.