Forum post Email problem

Forum post Email problem

by Bibek Bhattarai -
Number of replies: 10
We are using moodle 1.4.5 and there seem to be some problem with force subscription and email post

When an instructor posts a new post on a course with all user with "force subscription" email doest not reach all the users everytime.

Some time it get lost.

I am still working on trying to figure out whether the problem is related to moodle, or smtp on our server, or our school mail server.

Befor doing more testing I wanted to check with moodle community if this is a known issue with moodle 1.4.5 or it is happening only with our moodle?

Thank you in advance.

Bibek
San Francisco State University
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bibek Bhattarai

Re: Forum post Email problem

by david egan -

we are having a similar problem - were you able to shed any light on this?

dave egan

In reply to Bibek Bhattarai

by Rachel Braman -
We are having the same issues.  Any headway?
In reply to Rachel Braman

by Ashish Jaju -

hi friends

can anyone tell me how can i change the  outgoing mails address from username to site address..its urgent pls do tell me

jajuashish@yahoo.co.in

In reply to Ashish Jaju

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Jaju,

Here are the steps to have forum posts always come from your chosen email address:

1.  Go to: Admin>>Configuration>>Modules and click on Forum settings.  Set forum_replytouser to No.

2.  Go to: Admin>>Configuration>>Variables and enter the address you would like to use in noreplyaddress:

As for the original problem posted here, does this problem still occur using the latest 1.5+ version of Moodle?
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Chardelle,

I have tried that setup with the latest Moodle 1.52+.

It works for the matter that it gets people to reply in to the forum, but will not help against e-mail bouncing.

The bouncing e-mails are still hitting your admin e-mailadress which has to be a noreply one and that would not be practical or has any one found a good solution for this too???

Cheers,

Jens

In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying Jens, but if this helps, my admin email address is one I set up specifically for those types of issues and is different than the noreply forums address which I have set up to be: forums@mysite.com. This address has an autoresponder that says something like, You have sent an email to a non-working address.  You may have tried to reply to a discussion post using the Reply tool in your email program.  Please reply to the discussion posts using the reply link in the post..... 
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Chardelle,

Thanks for the advice,

I will try that work arround. The strange part is that all my forum posts are mailed with the forum@mydomain.com - but the bouncing e-mails are still sent to my admin@mydomain.com so the solution I guess is that we must change the variable in the database of the e-mail adress and is set it to forum@mydomain.com.

That means we must find the e-mail variable related with the Return-path is set in the following file (part of the PHPMailer application):

/www/www/moodle/lib/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php

The lines that configure the Return-path header ate the following:

if($this->Sender == "")
$result .= $this->HeaderLine("Return-Path", trim($this->From));
else
$result .= $this->HeaderLine("Return-Path", trim($this->Sender));

BR
Jens

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Chardelle, thanks for describing your noreply forums address autoresponder message. approve

Jens, you may find Penny's post regarding bounce handling in the discussion Bad email addresses make site slow? helpful.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Helen + Chardelle,

Thanks for your reference to Penny's post. Unfortunately e-mail piping is not allowed on that specific server. But I have now implemented Chardelles solution and hopefully it will take off some steam. Thank you again Chardelle.

Validation of new user...

by Roque Brinckmann -

Hi all

I´m having this problem (described as follows): [1] new users ask for <New account>; [2] to accomplish the stuff, the new user informs a valid e-mail and, [3] the new user receives an automatic Moodle e-mail that asks for him/her to click in a link that will send him/her to a validation site Well, here remains my problem: this validation process is not working, because the new user is sent to the default page of my Moodle site! As a result, the new user neither gains access, nor I can register him/her in the site.
Notes:
[a] the automatic e-mail I receive also seems to have missed its configuration (like letters and accents typed wrong).
[b] Please, I´m in Brazil, where the classes will soon begin and, as I´m a neophyte (begginer one) in Moodle, I need to run it as soon as possible.

Thaks in advance

Regards