Trouble accessing moodle site ver 3.8.x

Trouble accessing moodle site ver 3.8.x

by Safdar Abbas -
Number of replies: 14
Hello,

Today, i performed three tasks on my filezilla moodle server folder and ended up in no access to moodle login page. Hope anyone can help:

1. Opened index.php in notepad and closed the file without saving
2. Copied 2checkout plugin folder in site folder/enrol/.. and deleted the folder later
3. Logged in to my moodle site, Notifications, upgraded Edwiser course format plugin. The site became non responsive while the upgrade happened and later on it was all blank white page.

After refreshing the page, the site became non responsive and to this hour, i'm looking for a possible reason for this error.

CAN ANYONE HELP? IT'S URGENT.

Regards,
Safdar
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Safdar Abbas

Re: Trouble accessing moodle site ver 3.8.x

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
My guess is that it has something to do with what you did in step 2, but I am not sure about 2checkout plugin because I don't use it.

After you copied 2checkout to folder/enrol/, did you restart Moodle so that it installed that plugin? And exactly at what point did you delete the folder? It could have been the deletion.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Safdar Abbas -

Hey Rick,

Really appreciate your response in this tough scenario and nick of time for me.

See, when i copied the 2checkout folder under "enrol" folder, I logged into my moodle site, went to the Notification tab, but there was no notification saying about 2checkout plugin. However, I saw an upgrade notification for Edwiser course format and clicked on it. It went across to the next window saying "to continue the installation" & the third window came where i was asked to update the moodle directory. The moment i clicked on updating button, it all went silent and blank, while i waited from sometime that it could come back. But nothing happened. I went back to my filezilla server folder and deleted the 2checkout folder assuming it may have caused some problem, refreshed but nothing happened.

Thanks!

In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Rick Jerz -
2checkout is not a plugin on Moodle.org. Do you know if it is compatible with 3.8? Did you follow their installation procedure? Do you have a backup of your moodle prior to doing this?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Safdar Abbas -

Hi Rick,

Github published the plugin and i followed the instruction as what was there on the github website. I do have a backup of my site. Fortunately, it was under testing and no learning content was uploaded, except the test ones. I'll upload the backup. What I actually wanted to do were two things only and it brought me to this:

1- Remove the "Cookies must be enabled" message on the login page, since it is taking extra space

2- I wanted to integrate payment gateway ("2CheckOut" as it is supports AED payments for United Arab Emirates and PKR payments for Pakistan) PayPal & Stripe isn't supported in both locations.

3- Text message notifications using a mobile phone network. 

I'm even happy to pay a developer who can get me these integrations.

Really appreciate your response!

Very kind regards,

Safdar

In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Rick Jerz -
I am not a developer. Maybe someone else will help develop what you need.

It appears that 2CheckOut didn't work, that it may or may not be compatible with Moodle 3.8, that you may or may not have followed the 2CheckOut uninstall procedures, and that you may or may not have corrupted your Moodle database. Reinstalling from a backup should get you back running, if you do the reinstall correctly. I might be overstating causes of the problem, but I am at a loss and with have to let others help you.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Safdar Abbas -

Hey Rick,

I assumed the same what you pointed out. I contacted a php developer who got in to the root and brought my site back.

But I really appreciate all the help and suggestions you extended.

btw, i have placed fa icons on the login page and i want to change the color of them as they are controlled by brand primary color code. Is there a CSS that can be used to change it?

Regards,

In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Rick Jerz -
Great, your site is up and running.

As a quick answer to your follow-up question, typically colors are controlled by what a particular theme offers in its “Appearance” settings, and by custom CSS. For example, in Boost, you have both kinds of control. I am not sure which theme you are using.

For more specific help on controlling colors, I suggest starting another topic, since discussion about color control takes us away from your original problem. Also search the Moodle.org forums since there is a lot of discussion about customizing the look of a Moodle.
In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What does "non responsive" look like? What *exactly* is happening?

Enable Debugging. Check your web server's error log.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Safdar Abbas -

Hi Howard,

Upon putting the site name, it keeps on redirecting and the error says, Too many redirects and it doesn't show the login page.

Regards,

In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did you switch on Debugging and check the web server error logs?

You should also try purging your Moodle caches if you haven't done so already.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Safdar Abbas -
Hey howard,

Thanks, a php guy to brought it back to life.

Much appreciate your help!
In reply to Safdar Abbas

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If that php guy changed Moodle code, keep in contact with him. By the next upgrade the latest you are going to need him.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Safdar Abbas -
Thanks Visvanath.. good advice to remember.