Learning to install Moodle

Learning to install Moodle

by Eric Lin -
Number of replies: 8
John, and by extension, Rick, Ken, Howard, and Visvanath,

First, thanks for providing all these informed perspectives. Not with moodle, but with other things, I have also been burned with tools that are designed to make things easy - until they mess up. Generally, I learn the same lesson over and over again . The close you are to the source and the command line, the better it is in the long run.

Like John, I have a moodle site on siteground. in the past, they would help me with upgrades from their service department, but they now no longer do this. That's okay, I should learn it anyways. The thing is that I'm a professor who happens to use moodle I host on my own dime because I don't like/trust the resources my institution provide. I have really loved using moodle, and I think it is worth all the learning required to use it. I want to learn how to manage my own upgrades, starting with my need to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8.

I realize there are different ways to do it, and the more reliable way may be more complex. Unlike the advice from the siteground tech, I don't just want to "hire someone to do it for me.". Rather, I want to learn how to do this myself. As I read through these posts, it seems like there could be wisdom to having a workflow where it is installed in a risk-free environment, tested, then uploaded to the real place. I'm not an administrator, just a professor doing this just for myself (so my moodle setup is not for an entire institution, just my own work). Is there a way I can find help in having someone walk through this with me, so I can see how it is done, ask questions, and learn to do this on my own? I know this requires time, and I'd rather pay for that than pay for someone to just "do it for me."

While I would like to just self-teach by looking at posts from esteemed experts like you all, I get a bit confused since I think that different people have different setups - some are hosting on their own software, some on services like John and I (I am also on siteground). As a novice, I'm not sure what of the advice pertains to setup-specific cases, and which can be generalized. That makes it hard to learn. As fascinated as I am with all of this, I just can't invest weeks in figuring this out . . .

Could you recommend a path I can pursue to learn how to do this from an expert, so I can learn to do this routine maintenance on my own? I'm pretty tech savvy, but this is a different and higher-stake level . .
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Lin

Re: Upgrading via Softaculous - remove install folder

by Eric Lin -
Oh, I should point out that siteground will do a full refreshed replaced *over* your existing stuff. So, they offered to just install 3.8 and wipe out my 3.6 instances. I was wondering if it is a path to just backup all the courses, let that complete do-over happen, then restore the courses from backup. This seems like one could lose something, but given my scale, I can afford to have the 1 day disruption where no one can come to my site. It seems like a noob way of doing things, but I was wondering if this completely clean install approach could allow me to avoid some technical debt issues. If there is a little hiccup in the upgrade that creates problems later, then these would be eliminated in the full replace. I mention this because there was a time when forum updates would just not push out by email to everyone. I think it was some chron job problem, and the techs at siteground and I could not fix it. It magically went away when we installed 3.6 moodle. I was wondering if one can afford the luxury of being down for a couple of days, if the "upgrade by new installation" could be a way to do this. This, of course, means that course content would have to be restoreable from backups in a newer version, so I'm also wondering if that is possible . .
In reply to Eric Lin

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not an expert nor wise.  But I did make two videos (see link below.)

You might be able to install a brand new Moodle 3.8, and then move your 3.6 data to it.  This is called "migration," and I do not have a video showing how to do this, yet.

My videos do begin at a point where you have a server that meets Moodle's minimum requirements.  If you own a "hosted server," it might be that your server does not meet Moodle's minimum requirements, so you might need to upgrade to a VPS.

See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=401983#p1621924.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Eric Lin -
Rick, thanks for informed reply, which I always appreciate, and thank for the videos! I am intrigued by this idea of doing a "migration". I usually see this in the context of someone switching host providers, but I can imagine doing one where you build up a new instance of moodle from scratch (say 3.8), then bring over the data from earlier versions (say 3.6) from backup of courses? Would this work, or are course backups moodle version specific? This is important, as I think about it, for other reasons. If you have archived a course, then you want to bring it back, if it has been a while and you have upgraded versions of moodle, would these old backup courses be lost?

If not, then I'm wondering why this migration approach isn't used more often. What is the downside of just creating a new instance of moodle then bringing over data? Is there a benefit of doing a version upgrade?

Anyways, if this path is one that could work, do you have any advice on how I could learn how to do it?

After backing up my site, I just tried to use the Softaculous approach to see how it works. Something broke, I couldn't get any menus or drop down menus to work (though I saw my old courses). I tried to reverse by restoring the softaculous backup, and something was corrupted. Fortunately, I had backed up my entire site on siteground, and just used their utilities to restore everything to what it looked like at 8 am this morning. Yep, playing with those tools can be dangerous. There wasn't a lot of bread crumbs and tips to figure out what went wrong. I think I just have to learn how to do this the (or perhaps "a") right way.

Thank you for all your help in advancing my learning here. . .
In reply to Eric Lin

Re: A Moodle instance for single teacher, hosted or DIY?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Leaving the wisdom aside let's concentrate on your need. You are a teacher and you want to run a Moodle site for your own classes with no financial support from your employer. Means that a) the numbers are low (how much?) b) the cost needs to be minimal. If that is all you'll be happy with something like the MoodleCloud. Have you looked at it? Depending on your evaluation we can move further.

N.B. Ninety odd posts are definitely enough about removing a "folder" in Softaculuous https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=399295. I gave this new sub-thread a new subject line.

@Moderator, would you pl. consider splitting the sub-thread which started at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=399295#p1627685 ?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Eric Lin -
I just looked at moodlecloud - I have never looked at that before. Studying the options, it does look like an attrative way to go on many fronts. I try not to use many plugins, but two that I'm particularly interested in is poodll and h5p. The former I've not integrated yet into my site meaningfully (as the cost of that is pretty high), but for h5p, that is something I like to use. I think this is not supported by moodlecloud. While not moodlecloud is not quite off the table (now that I've studied it more), I am still leaning toward this less plug-an-play mode - I am learning a lot here, and there is some benefit to knowing more about what goes on under the hood (maybe I'm just too ready to punish myself. . . ).
In reply to Eric Lin

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Eric

You wrote:
> I am still leaning toward this less plug-an-play mode - I am learning a lot here, and there is some benefit to knowing more about what goes on under the hood

I half expected it. That's why I said:
>> Means that a) the numbers are low (how much?) b) the cost needs to be minimal. If that is all..

So, there is a third aspect: c) learning what goes on under the hood. Looks like you are already on the way - in the "pragmatic" path aka LbD (Learning-by-Doing). Ref. "ssh and sudo - CLI" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=403442. Yes, that is a path for some. Not the one I prefer, I am more for a systematic approach. But the choice is yours. ;)
In reply to Eric Lin

Re: Learning to install Moodle

by John Carey -
Hi Eric
Definitely follow the very clear instructions on Rick's videos and all will be well smile
Stay safe
John
In reply to John Carey

Re: Learning to install Moodle

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To add a little to this, if something is not clear in my video, let me know and I will over time improve my videos.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)