Quiz - Prevent entry after 15 minutes when quiz is open

Quiz - Prevent entry after 15 minutes when quiz is open

by Beta G -
Number of replies: 13

Is there any method to prevent enter in quiz after 15 minutes for example I want to set quiz open date 10/05/2020 from time 13:00 with time limit of quiz 45 min but students have to enter quiz from 13:00 to 13:15 otherwise after 13:15 they should not have possibility to enter.

This is the same like making exams in classroom physically and after 15 minutes you don't allow more students because entry time has passed.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beta G

Re: Quiz - Prevent entry after 15 minutes when quiz is open

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think this functionality is available. However, I think it would be possible to develop it as a Quiz access rule plugins: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Quiz_access_rules
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Beta G -
Thank you but I haven't find anything yet ready to be used there are some other interesting plugins for quiz rules but most of them outdated - I don't have any idea how to do it in my own yet this what I asked here.
In reply to Beta G

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The short answer to your original question is no.
This functionality is not available, but it could be developed by someone familiar with creating Moodle plugins and would probably not be a huge task.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beta G

by Sanjay P. K. -
What will happen if the password to access the quiz is changed after 15 minutes? Will it affect the ongoing quiz attempts?
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No. The password is only checked when a new attempt is created. Once the attempt exists, students can continue working on it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sanjay P. K. -
So this is one way to prevent entry after 15 minutes, right? The teacher can set a password for the quiz; make it available in the quiz description and also declare there itself that this will not work after 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, the teacher can edit the quiz settings and change the password.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Tim Hunt -
Yes.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by H Singh -
I tested out this idea last week.

It does not work. In fact, several students in a live exam found that they were presented with a demand for a password the moment they tried to navigate from one question to another. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that we paginate our exams as single question per page.

Once you change the password, it affects all attempts, even ongoing ones. Moodle version 3.5+.
In reply to H Singh

by Tim Hunt -
Looking at the code (https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/mod/quiz/accessrule/password/rule.php), I still think it does not work like that. Can you test this and give us exact steps to reproduce this problem?

(Students will get asked the password if they leave the quiz, then go back in and Continue their attempt, but they should not get asked just moving from page to page.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello all,

Use the following workaround.

In the main quiz settings, assume that "Open the quiz" is set at 9:00 am and "Close the quiz" is set at 11:00 am, i.e. this is a two hour exam.

Create another quiz, let's call it an access quiz, containing a simple MCQ, T/F or SA question, like "Do you want to go to the main quiz? Y or N" or any other boggus question. Tell students that they must answer and "submit all and finish" in order to have access to the main quiz. In the settings of this access quiz, set "Open the quiz" to 9:00 and "Close the quiz" to 9:15, i.e. it is only open for the first 15 minutes.

In the main quiz settings and under "Restrict access", add a "Grade" restriction and select the access quiz. If you do not specify a grade, the restriction is satisfied regardless of the grade.

You can also add "Date" restrictions to both quizzes to control their display.

Thus, punctual students will have access to the access quiz from 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and therefore to the main quiz throughout its duration. Latecomers will not have access to the access quiz after 9.15 a.m. and therefore they will not be able to access the main quiz at all.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by H Singh -
This sounds like an excellent suggestion. Will try it out at the next opportunity.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by H Singh -
Indeed they are. The moment they save an answer to a question, and navigate to a different page which has another question, they get asked the password.