"Fixing" issues with quizzes

"Fixing" issues with quizzes

by Michael Hughes -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
So we have been sent this problem from a member of staff who had set up a quiz using a random question:
---
Description of Problem:
Replace mark for a quiz question for all students--all students should now get full marks for a multiple choice question
with 2 correct choices, regardless of the students' choices or whether any choices were submitted.

Background:
The quiz has already taken place and mark released to students; it was later found that no correct answers were
available in the choices given. To compensate, it is decided that all students should receive full marks for this
question, regardless of the attempt.

Problem:
For this question where multiple answers are allowed (2 out of 8 choices were supposed to be correct), I tried changing
the grade to 100% for all answer choices, but this was not allowed in the question bank question setup (an error message
came up saying grade add up to 800%, please change).
I tried changing the question to single choice only and gave 100% for all choices. This was allowed and saved. However,
when I did a dry run of the regrade, the students received "0" for this question instead of the expected full mark. It
seems that changing the question answer type made MyPlace ignore all prior student answers.

Question:
Is there a way to manually input the new mark for all students at once? There are 121 attempts for this quiz--too many
to manually override the mark for each individual student.
I would prefer to change the mark for this question in the quiz, so students can see why they received the overall quiz
mark they did.
---

It looks like whilst they can do this by going through each answer for the question via the manual grading, there is only
this 1-by-1 approach available, rather than there being a quicker "blanket" option.

With the new move to a lot of online teaching we're starting to find more cases of this where the question is wrong,
and this is the resolution that staff are wishing to take.

My questions are:
* Is anyone else finding this sort of thing (admittedly this is a QA issue for the questions)?
* Is it feasible to do a more streamlined "mark all" process in the quiz?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Hughes

Re: "Fixing" issues with quizzes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, we find this sort of thing. Rather than trying to award all students 100% (which, as you found, it technically difficult for some question types) we prefer to change the mark available for that question to 0. (Then Moodle scales up the mark for the other questions to get something out of the right total.)

(Not, changing a question from mulit-resonse to single respons after it has been attempted, is a really bad idea. You have probably lost the student's responses.)

When you say the manual grading process is too laborious, are you using Quiz settings -> Results -> Manual grading?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, the Results > Manual Grading feature.

But that's a useful trick! I'll get that on our support site! However I think the flip side is that they're looking to award the marks as if they had all got it right.

In reply to Michael Hughes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Tecnically, it is easy to write the code to look through all the attempts at a quiz, and log a 'manual mark' or 100% for Q7 in each attempt.

What is slighly more work is deciding where and how to hook that into the current quiz UI, where people will find it, and understand how to use it. (It could be in the manual grading report, some sort of set grades in bulk option, or could be on he Grades/overview report, near the control relating to re-grading.)

If you can come up with something, please consider developing a patch.