Lesson has been started, but not yet completed

Lesson has been started, but not yet completed

by Dawn Drahos -
Number of replies: 5

I have set up linear lessons with content and question pages in my course.  Approximately 3/4 of my students are completing the lessons with no problem and I am able to see a grade for their completed lesson in the grade book.  However, a handful of students are progressing through each page, finishing the lesson, and no grade shows in the grade book.  When I access the student's complete report I see the message "lesson has been started but not yet completed."

My most recent lesson has an essay question.  When I go to teacher view of the lesson --> reports --> click on student showing as not completed (but I know they have completed!). --> detailed statistics .... I can see their answers to their essay.  This same student's name shows in the list under the "grade essays" tab yet there is no hyperlink to their essay answers (but there are links to many other students who have completed).  Additionally, as stated above there is no grade for this student in the grade book.

I hope this make sense and someone can kindly advise.  Just a teacher that wants to provide meaningful content in an efficient way while schools are shut down and Moodle is throwing me a curve ball!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dawn Drahos

Re: Lesson has been started, but not yet completed

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Is the student properly enrolled? It is occasionally possible for someone to end up as 'No role' and they won't show up in the grade book or get credit for anything. If they can do anything, it won't properly report. For me, this happens to people who have advanced roles but also need to complete the course (teachers, non-editing teachers) but if you allow student role at the category level (which I would strongly discourage), that will also create a similar problem.
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Dawn Drahos -
Thank you so much for your response. Could you please help me understand "category level"? On my enrolled user list all students are showing the role of "student".
In reply to Dawn Drahos

by Melanie Scott -

A long time ago, you could assign student roles in a category (where you put courses). It was a really bad idea because inherited roles work differently than explicit roles and all manner of crazy would ensue, including students having access but never getting credit.  This is no longer possible unless you deliberately enable it. I do not recommend this.  There have been people on here enabling that recently. Glad it isn't you. 

What makes you think they have completed? If it says they're not done and the results aren't there...

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Dawn Drahos -
I had a student screen shot me the "congrats you're finished page". Also on activity report I can see that they have viewed the activity. Odd thing is it's only about 5 students out of 50. I'm now also having issues where some students can see discussion forum post but there is no link for them to reply. I've also seen this in a screen shot.

I've been digging around and coming up empty. Maybe it's a device issue or the version of their web browser? Kind of ready to give up and just hope we're back in school in May!
In reply to Dawn Drahos

by Melanie Scott -

It could be a device or browser issue. You might figure out what devices they are working on and what browsers and find the same for a random sample of people who complete without a problem.  See if there is a pattern. If they are issued by your school you might check with IT about permissions...maybe something has gone wonky.

They ARE enrolled? Is it possible their connection dropped? Completion shouldn't work with no connection  with Lesson, but i'm sure stranger things have happened (this is a frequent problem with SCORM). It is a screen shot of their account, not someone else's? I know, I sound like a really suspicious so-and-so...15 years working in the prison system resulted in 0 trust in anyone (and that included staff). Feel free to disregard my trust issues if you like.