How to set a forum not to be an Announcements Forum

How to set a forum not to be an Announcements Forum

by Ross Lovell -
Number of replies: 4

A teacher at my school as set up a bunch of single activity courses with a forum to discuss students course work with them. For some reason each forum has been set to an Announcement forum so none of the students can comment. I've taken a look at his courses as an administrator and cannot find an option to change the forum to a Standard forum for general use. Normally there is a drop down menu to set the forum type but there isn't one.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ross Lovell

Re: How to set a forum not to be an Announcements Forum

by Ross Lovell -
I found a work around. I set the course to topics format, created a new forum and moved the forum posts from the Announcements forum to the new forum. I then deleted the Announcements and set the course back to a single forum activity. The forum now works as intended and I can see the drop down menu to change its type a Standard forum for general use.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Ross Lovell -
And not more than five minutes later Moodle has changed the forum in question back to Announcement forum even though I checked that it was set to a forum for general use. The drop down menu to change its type has also vanished.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Ross Lovell -
I think I have this working now. I repeated my above steps but then I dragged the new forum into Topic one before switching back to the Single Forum activity. So far nearly an hour later it seems to be working.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You can’t delete an Announcements Forum without first changing a setting in Course Admin > Edit settings, then scroll down to Appearance and change the “Number of announcements” to 0. If that number is greater than 0, when you delete the Announcements Forum, it will automatically be recreated the next time you load the course page.

(Even better, would be to do that and then go to Site Admin > Courses > Course default settings and change it there too - it won’t help with Announcements Forums in existing courses but it will stop them being created in any new courses.)